Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G Series 60

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
Specifically, the 613S.

I had a service call at a large apartment building today for no heat. Both pumps were missing their start capacitors and nobody knew where they went.

I called around and apparently there isn't even a part number for the caps? No chance that anyone knew the specs of the caps. They're saying the complete motor and/or pump must be replaced? Does anyone have any information on Series 60 start capacitors?

I took a somewhat educated, WAG as to the cap size and did a 2 second run on each pump and they worked. I did that only to verify that there's a decent chance the pump and bearing assembly are good.

Anyone?
Steve Minnich

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    What HP? You may be able to reference a compressor.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    3/4 hp, dual voltage motor wired to 115
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    Most start caps are taken out of the circuit by a potential relay, this one taken out by a centrifugal switch although that shouldn't matter. The maintenance men said they had no idea what happened to the capacitors. Really? My guess is someone robbed Peter to pay Paul.
    Steve Minnich
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Part number is M75065 and it looks to be 40mfd. I would call a rep to confirm, though.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    Joe - I appreciate the help. I did call the local rep. They said no part number and no specs. I will follow up based on what you shared. If you have a parts list that includes the capacitor, please email it to me. Thanks again.
    Steve Minnich
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Here in the DC area we have a Co. called Southern Utilities and I bet they know.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Stephen, looked thru some of my stuff and found a parts list for the series 60 b&g it shows the start cap part number Joe mentioned.

Tinman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have 2 series 60's in use they are 120 vac 1/2 HP though. I can look tomorrow what start cap they use. As long as it starts and the centrifugal switch disconnects it from the windings. It is only in use for less than a second. If it stays energized sometimes they explode, ( Just ask how I know).
    kcopp
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Call a shop that rewinds motors. They will be able to tell you.
  • Tinman
    Options
    @Joe and Abracadabra - I forwarded that part# to my guy at my supply house last night and he's thinking that it's still a valid number. And, it is a run capacitor on that motor. The last few Series 60's (617S) I worked on used start caps. This one is actually a PSC motor.
    A huge thanks for the assist.
    Steve Minnich