Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any comments appreciated

Options
Santilal
Santilal Member Posts: 42
Hi
I have been pondering on how to fix a number of design and installation errors that exist in the heating system installed in our new home a few years back. It still works, but has a number of querks. So I have come up with a new design (attached) and I would appreciate any comments about it.

I have tried to provide adequate hydraulic separation (previous design had none). I also have provided for boiler low temperature protection, and I am toggling the in-slab with the DWH because the installer thinks that there is not enough flow to supply everything at once. There will always be an open flow path for P2 - even if all of the TRV's are closed, there will be a path through the DWH or the inslab system. In the existing design P2 can become dead-headed. I have tried to keep the number of circulators to a minimum to lower the operating electricity costs.

There are 6 inslab circuits and 12 radiators. I hope I have provided enough info for you experts, but I am happy to provide any additional info.

Thanks.

Santilal

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,262
    Options
    One expansion tank suffices. With TRVs why do you need zone valves? I haven't seen them in use but seems to me that those new intelligent circ pumps are better than zone valves.
  • Santilal
    Santilal Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the comment. The reason for the zone valve on the radiator circuit is because it already exists. I agree that it isn't required, but as it is already there I thought I would leave it. The other two zone valves are required because I need to select the priority water heating load or the in-slab heating. The installer thinks that there is not enough flow available to run both together, but I am not really sure.

The original install had several other design flaws which I am trying to resolve with this design. One issue was that the circ was dead-headed when all TRV's were off. Another issue was that the boiler loop and the distribution loop were not correctly decoupled.

Thanks.
    Santilal