Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3/8" PEX for panel home run system

Options
Hey, what are you guys using for 3/8" tubing to panel radiators of a manifold? Seems PAP is popular for its "rigidity"... however I only see it carried by ROTH (AluLaser Plus). While there are many "standard" PEX options (PEX a/b/c and PE-RT).

There are a lot more options in 1/2", however my biggest radiator has a load ~ 7000 BTUs. Given a delta T of 20-30* my flow rates in 3/8" are reasonable, while maintaining close to 2FPS. With 1/2" I think I would be over-pumping to maintain at least 2FPS.

Locally I know for sure I can get ROTH and Uponor tubing.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Larger dia. tubing has little consequence other than workability, and cost. Another thought is your radiant floor. sandwich or underfloor?

running in the 4-5 FPS range is not a problem.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Yum sorry to say or ask I'm confused by the question, are you asking what pex brand I use?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    3/8" PEX-a routed through the walls. Transition to 1/2" copper if routed through the floors.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I would use 1/2" for the fact that it's a more common size and fittings are readily available.
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    Ditto bob
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    Options
    Gordy said:

Larger dia. tubing has little consequence other than workability, and cost. Another thought is your radiant floor. sandwich or underfloor?

running in the 4-5 FPS range is not a problem.

Radiant floor in bathroom will be dry sandwich. Future addition will be in slab.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    Options
    Snowmelt said:

Yum sorry to say or ask I'm confused by the question, are you asking what pex brand I use?

Sure, what do you guys like to use for sizing and brand/type. There are a lot of options from different manufacturers, PEX-a, PEX-b, PEX-c, PE-RT, PEX-AL-PEX, PERT-AL-PERT....
  • bmwpowere36m3
    Options
    SWEI said:

3/8" PEX-a routed through the walls. Transition to 1/2" copper if routed through the floors.

They'll be routed in/under floor joists (basement), then thru floor to panels (Buderus, bottom connection).
  • bmwpowere36m3
    Options
    With 1/2" tubing, my rough calculations indicate that to keep flow velocities at 2+ FPS the required GPM would result in delta Ts ~12* (design day) and would only get smaller as temps go up.

Maybe doesn't really matter... 1/2" is a lot easier to find fittings for.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Big fan of Viega Fostapex. Readily available fittings, tools don't cost an arm and a leg. When Uponor (then Wirsbo) came out with MultiCor, 15 years or so ago, I was pumped (pun intended) but back then fittings were limited, and the crimp system was very new. And obscenely expensive. Looked at Kitec briefly but they vaporized. Then Fostapex came to market. Sold.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Agree with Bob.

DONT get wrapped up in deltas its rampid around here. Design with them. Narrower delta just means a more average temp across the rad. Pump energy is saved with larger diameter tubing. The TRVs will take care of the deltas. Your piping P/S Boiler delta will be more significant.
    Bob Bona_4Harvey Ramer
  • SWEI
    Options

They'll be routed in/under floor joists (basement), then thru floor to panels (Buderus, bottom connection).

The bottom connections work great with either 1/2" or 3/8" PEX. No worries about sagging like the top end pipe does.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    Options
    SWEI said:

The bottom connections work great with either 1/2" or 3/8" PEX. No worries about sagging like the top end pipe does.
    Would you still recommend coming thru the floor with copper pipe? It would be about 4-6" exposed. Or just run PEX up to the radiator and install the plastic covers that come with the panels?
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    3/4 manifold viega if your running pex to each room might as well run a thermostate. With a bumble bee pump.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Panel rads cry out for TRVs and delta P circs :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Options
    Ditto,HR is there really a better way?
  • bmwpowere36m3
    Options
    hot rod said:

Panel rads cry out for TRVs and delta P circs :)

That's the plan…
  • SWEI
    Options

SWEI said:

Would you still recommend coming thru the floor with copper pipe? It would be about 4-6" exposed. Or just run PEX up to the radiator and install the plastic covers that come with the panels?
    The latter, if I were doing it.
    bmwpowere36m3