To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Steam Boiler Make-up Water

I've seen lots of information about "too much" make-up water causing pre-mature steam boiler corrosion from the oxygen in the water. Can anyone tell me what is "too much"? I know water usage will vary with boiler size and climate (and leaks of course), but certainly a given boiler can tolerate a certain amount of water replacement cycles per season, regardless of size and weather. Any guidelines here?

I have a 13 gallon boiler that has to add about 2-3 gallons per week in the winter. Is that okay? I don't see any leaks anywhere and the vents are working fine.

Similarly, I see lots of information about "too much" chloride in the make-up water causing excessive corrosion. What is "too much"? My water supply comes from municipal wells that have about 140 ppm of chloride and 50 ppm of sodium. Is that okay?

I'm asking because I'm about to buy my 4th steam boiler in 17 years. Very expensive.
· ·

Comments