To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Gate valve bleeder/ drain

Ok this is a dumb question but here goes- checked out a friends "spraying leaking radiator" water spraying our what I thought to be some sort of bleeder cap on the side of the gate valve- I did a temp repair but now I must put my foot in my mouth as I believe it's really a drain not a bleeder am I correct? There was a perfectly round hole in the cap it was pissing out of so I thought it was a bleeder of sorts- the cap looks like a Pete's plug cap. I think the hole in the cap was where water eroded it away. Big question is that normally just 1/8" MPT for the bleeder as I need to get a cap as my "repair" was temporary ... Hey give me a break it was 11:00 pm and -10*F! Thanks!
· ·

Comments

• ZmanZman Posts: 2,193Member ✭✭✭
    3 sizes

I believe there are 3 common sizes. The last time I did something equally brilliant ( dropped it in a hole) , I picked up a package with all 3 sizes from ace hardware.

Carl
    · ·
  • dave1234dave1234 Posts: 7Member
    Yes sir

Yes did some searching and there are replacement caps but they all have a machines hole also so what's the hole for? Must be just the rubber washer/ ring rotted out. The small hole must be for slow draining?
    · ·
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 90Member
    Drain

My experience is that it is a drain or call it a bleeder.  Ball valves and other valves have them to drain a line down stream of the supply after closing the valve to work on a fixture or something.  Usuall they have a rubber gasket in the cap with a side hole.  I have also seen the same type of setup on vent 90 ells for baseboard emmitters instead of a coin vent.  If its 1/8" MPT, I get a brass coupling and then have put a coin vent valve in the other end.  I used this on some baseboard vented 90 ells.  Should work on the valve also.  Just a brass cap with tape or dope should work also. 
    · ·