To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Advice for stuck aquastat bulb

Solid_Fuel_ManSolid_Fuel_Man Posts: 112Member
Hey walliens.  I've got a stuck bulb, I removed the well and replaced the aquastat, but the stat is still good, I just wanted to free it from the 1/2" well and use it in my own place.  I've soaked it with WD40 but the heat conducting compound seems to not let go.  Should I try to heat it up?  I don't want to get it too hot for obvious reasons.  Just wondering if anyone had success with some method.

Thanks!

Taylor
Always keep learning: observing what works, and what doesn't. Ask questions
· ·

Comments

• unclejohnunclejohn Posts: 644Member ✭✭✭
    Try

Filling the well with oil and then heat. Put it in a vice or something to hold it up.
    · ·
  • hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,942Member ✭✭✭
    cut

the tip of the well off carefully and push it out from that end?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·
  • heatpro02920heatpro02920 Posts: 991Member
    hot rod wins

pipe cutter works well, take your time I cut them about an inch in then you should be good, or install the entire thing in your system...
    · ·
  • Solid_Fuel_ManSolid_Fuel_Man Posts: 112Member

That's what I did.  I had a well in already but trying the heat and oil bit and risking damaging the capillary if I worked it any more, I just drained the system and bushed the 3/4 tapping to 1/2 and threaded the whole thing in.  Problem solved, and free used parts from a boiler I removed from a customer's apartment building.

Taylor
    Always keep learning: observing what works, and what doesn't. Ask questions
    · ·
  • heatpro02920heatpro02920 Posts: 991Member
    gotta love free parts

I had a customer that had me remove a 3 year old peerless oil fired boiler and indirect, and a 2 year old 275 ga oil tank {installed a gb and rinnai unit}, they also had me remove all the baseboard and install 2 hydro airs with a/c...

I bought a property about a month before that, it was a forclosure and they ripped out the boiler, water heater, all the copper and baseboard... I moved that customers stuff rite from his walkout to that basement, installed it all rite down to the copper tubing that I removed from their house and replaced with pex to their air handlers.... I even used their 1 1/4" pipe for the vent and fill.... Free heating systems never hurt...

Also when I pull out boilers with good circs, boilers, and controls, I keep them parts for customers that can not afford new parts...
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!