Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advice for stuck aquastat bulb

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
Hey walliens.  I've got a stuck bulb, I removed the well and replaced the aquastat, but the stat is still good, I just wanted to free it from the 1/2" well and use it in my own place.  I've soaked it with WD40 but the heat conducting compound seems to not let go.  Should I try to heat it up?  I don't want to get it too hot for obvious reasons.  Just wondering if anyone had success with some method.

Thanks!

Taylor
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Try

Filling the well with oil and then heat. Put it in a vice or something to hold it up.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    cut

the tip of the well off carefully and push it out from that end?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    hot rod wins

pipe cutter works well, take your time I cut them about an inch in then you should be good, or install the entire thing in your system...
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646

That's what I did.  I had a well in already but trying the heat and oil bit and risking damaging the capillary if I worked it any more, I just drained the system and bushed the 3/4 tapping to 1/2 and threaded the whole thing in.  Problem solved, and free used parts from a boiler I removed from a customer's apartment building.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    gotta love free parts

I had a customer that had me remove a 3 year old peerless oil fired boiler and indirect, and a 2 year old 275 ga oil tank {installed a gb and rinnai unit}, they also had me remove all the baseboard and install 2 hydro airs with a/c...

I bought a property about a month before that, it was a forclosure and they ripped out the boiler, water heater, all the copper and baseboard... I moved that customers stuff rite from his walkout to that basement, installed it all rite down to the copper tubing that I removed from their house and replaced with pex to their air handlers.... I even used their 1 1/4" pipe for the vent and fill.... Free heating systems never hurt...

Also when I pull out boilers with good circs, boilers, and controls, I keep them parts for customers that can not afford new parts...
This discussion has been closed.