Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

system bangs

joek
joek Member Posts: 2
living in house for 12 years,have a single pipe system that never banged queit as a mouset.Recently my pressuretroll failed system went to 25psi before the air valves screamed and I shut down system. Replaced pressuretroll set @2psi now system bangs???Help anyone Thanks

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Water got places it shouldn't

At that kind of pressure you probably had water in all kinds of strange places and it's banging because some of that water is still there.

Can you localize the hammer to an area? Check all the piping you can get to 9use a level, don't trust your eye) and make sure it's all got the correct slope and make sure there aren't any sags (run a string along each run to check for sags).

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    And I might add

when you get done doing what Bob suggested, which is exactly correct, check those air valves and any traps.  25 psi may well have damaged them pretty badly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,586
    Gauge glass

How does the water in the gauge glass look?  Is the water level fairly stable while running?  Does it drop a lot during a heating cycle and then return shortly after the system shuts down?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • rembrandt
    rembrandt Posts: 14
    system bangs

I had a similar issue where I had abnormally high pressure during a cycle because of a pressuretrol fail. Needed to replace a valve, repack another, and completely get rid of all my rad vents. I stlll swear my system makes more noise than before, but I was waiting for the winter to end before I start tinkering.
  • joek
    joek Member Posts: 2
    system bangs

Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions replaced air valves and had no banging this morning.On one radiator I had to go with a slower valve and it stopped the bang. Once again thanks to all for your help
This discussion has been closed.