Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cracked casting

Options
Pat69
Pat69 Member Posts: 2
I'm going on my third slant fin steam furnace in the last six years . The last 2 both cracked within 3 years . My installer has told me he has never had this happen before. Don't know why this is happening, but they want to install another slant fin . I am wondering if it's just going to happen again . Is this a common issue, or is there something that the installer may be missing ?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Steel or copper?

Is the boiler header plumbed in threaded steel with swing joints? If both boiler steam outlets are being used and it's done in copper, that can cause problems.

Post some pictures of the boiler and the piping around it so we can find any possible causes.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,248
    Options
    automatic water feeder ?

Do you have automatic water feeder ? I hate them & PRVs
  • Pat69
    Pat69 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Pics

Here are a few pics
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Warranty?

Are these being replaced under warranty? The installer knows nothing about steam. He apparently can't read either, because the boiler is not installed to manufacturers specs.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    piping

As Bob said your boiler supply piping in copper is one of your problems, the cast iron sections cant expand and contract with that rigid copper piping, you need to repipe in steel pipe with cast iron fittings using swing joints.  I have seen over 4 of these copper piping posts just in the last year, where are these people getting there training and are they licensed.
    RJ
This discussion has been closed.