To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Cracked casting

I'm going on my third slant fin steam furnace in the last six years . The last 2 both cracked within 3 years . My installer has told me he has never had this happen before. Don't know why this is happening, but they want to install another slant fin . I am wondering if it's just going to happen again . Is this a common issue, or is there something that the installer may be missing ?
· ·

Comments

• BobCBobC Posts: 2,545Member ✭✭✭
    Steel or copper?

Is the boiler header plumbed in threaded steel with swing joints? If both boiler steam outlets are being used and it's done in copper, that can cause problems.

Post some pictures of the boiler and the piping around it so we can find any possible causes.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    · ·
  • jumperjumper Posts: 444Member
    automatic water feeder ?

Do you have automatic water feeder ? I hate them & PRVs
    · ·
  • Pat69Pat69 Posts: 2Member
    Pics

Here are a few pics
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    0B
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    0B
    · ·
  • Paul48Paul48 Posts: 2,202Member ✭✭✭
    Warranty?

Are these being replaced under warranty? The installer knows nothing about steam. He apparently can't read either, because the boiler is not installed to manufacturers specs.
    · ·
  • RJRJ Posts: 421Member ✭✭
    piping

As Bob said your boiler supply piping in copper is one of your problems, the cast iron sections cant expand and contract with that rigid copper piping, you need to repipe in steel pipe with cast iron fittings using swing joints.  I have seen over 4 of these copper piping posts just in the last year, where are these people getting there training and are they licensed.
    RJ
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!