To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

installed my first magna

zacmobilezacmobile Posts: 211Member
The results were much better than expected; it replaced a waaaaaay oversized UPS32-160F. You could hear it howling like a ghost throughout the entire building and there was no delta T on the supply & return. I gave them a quote on replacing it last winter but they said it was out of their budget at the time, it finally crapped out after about 4 years in service about 3 weeks ago so it became a necessity being a town hall in a small hamlet about an hour away from my own. I generously estimated the head of the system at 16ft. @35gpm but it turned out to be much less than that as you can see in the pic. It's pumping through 1-1/4" convectors in wooden cabinets throughout the approx 10,000 sq ft building. It usually draws less than 32watts and has cost about $2 to run over the last few weeks, compared to the old circulator's 625watts (on speed 3 which is what it was on lol!) I figure they'll have a yearly savings of about $300.
JPG
JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
0B
·

Comments

• chapchap70chapchap70 Posts: 131Member
    Alpha?

Hi Zac,

I'm glad you are able to save your client $$$ and quiet down the building.  I failed to see how you overestimated the head and gpm from the picture since I only see wattage.  If the head and gpm are that low, could you have gotten away with installing the Alpha?
    ·
  • zacmobilezacmobile Posts: 211Member
    possibly

Looking at it now, I probably could have. Though at the time of failure my perception was warped by the fact that that there was such a monster pump on the system and just the somewhat large size of the system in general (2" mains & 600,000 btuhs of boilers). Because of these factors I doubted my math and played it safe. Live & learn I guess.
    ·
  • zacmobilezacmobile Posts: 211Member
    hmmm

An alpha can't do 32gpm though, but I might have been OK with the smallest Magna, the 32-60. Meh, splitting hairs though, this is leagues better that what they had.
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!