To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Riser Size

I just purchased The Lost Art of Steam Heat. After going through a few chapters, I went to have a look at my boiler. It is a Weil McLain SGO-3 and the specs call for a 2 1/2" riser. When this unit was installed, it was down sized to 2" due to the rest of the pipes being 2". My question is should this be replumbed with 2 1/2"? If the answer is yes, at what point can it go back to the 2" to meet the rest of the supply piping. I really appreciate any assistance. This is my second house with steam heat and I am trying to make this as efficient a system as possible.

John
· ·

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carternicholas bonham-carter Posts: 5,578Member ✭✭✭
    riser replacement

depending on how old your boiler is, the riser, and bushing may be time-consuming to remove for this time of the year.

how is the boiler performing?--nbc
    · ·
  • AbracadabraAbracadabra Posts: 978Member ✭✭✭
    riser sizes

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multimedia-library/pdf/weil-mclain-pdf/products/boilers/oil-boilers/sgo/sgo-boiler-manual.pdf.pdf

See page 14 and 15.

Near boiler piping needs to match manufacturer specs.  You can go back to 2" at the output of the header.
    · ·
  • stevesteve Posts: 36Member
    Riser Size

I just had the oil company do a service on the boiler for the first time. The main filter was rusted out, the filter at the burner was nearly completely plugged, and I guess it needed some TLC. After the cleaning, it seems to be using more fuel! It might just be my imagination though. I won't touch the piping now because we can't be without heat. So if I read the reply correctly, after I get to at least 24" above the water line and make the 90 deg to the mains, I can go back to the 2". Also there is currently only 1 main vent on the return, but that will be for another time. Thanks again
    · ·
  • nicholas bonham-carternicholas bonham-carter Posts: 5,578Member ✭✭✭
    when to vent

do the main venting improvements now so you can save money this season, and not have to wait until next winter.--nbc
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!