Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riser Size

avmech
avmech Member Posts: 1
I just purchased The Lost Art of Steam Heat. After going through a few chapters, I went to have a look at my boiler. It is a Weil McLain SGO-3 and the specs call for a 2 1/2" riser. When this unit was installed, it was down sized to 2" due to the rest of the pipes being 2". My question is should this be replumbed with 2 1/2"? If the answer is yes, at what point can it go back to the 2" to meet the rest of the supply piping. I really appreciate any assistance. This is my second house with steam heat and I am trying to make this as efficient a system as possible.

John

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    riser replacement

depending on how old your boiler is, the riser, and bushing may be time-consuming to remove for this time of the year.

how is the boiler performing?--nbc
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    riser sizes

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multimedia-library/pdf/weil-mclain-pdf/products/boilers/oil-boilers/sgo/sgo-boiler-manual.pdf.pdf

See page 14 and 15.

Near boiler piping needs to match manufacturer specs.  You can go back to 2" at the output of the header.
  • steve_25
    steve_25 Member Posts: 36
    Riser Size

I just had the oil company do a service on the boiler for the first time. The main filter was rusted out, the filter at the burner was nearly completely plugged, and I guess it needed some TLC. After the cleaning, it seems to be using more fuel! It might just be my imagination though. I won't touch the piping now because we can't be without heat. So if I read the reply correctly, after I get to at least 24" above the water line and make the 90 deg to the mains, I can go back to the 2". Also there is currently only 1 main vent on the return, but that will be for another time. Thanks again
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    when to vent

do the main venting improvements now so you can save money this season, and not have to wait until next winter.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.