To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

HONEYWELL RELAY -hey tim sos !!

bob youngbob young Posts: 2,137Member ✭✭✭
HONEYWELL RELAY R8222  Been experiencing more than a few nuisance no heat call with this relay being the culprit.  firstlly, why are they so unreliable. secondly could sopmeone define their exact purpose & if they are absolutely necessary for safe operation & can they be bypassed temporarily or permanently & safely.
· ·

Comments

• gerry gillgerry gill Posts: 2,392Member ✭✭✭
    Bob. Are these the relays

On the steam boilers that isolate the thermostats?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com

Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

· ·
  • Mark NMark N Posts: 898Member ✭✭✭
    Relay

To me it looks like when the thermostat calls for heat it energizes the coil of the relay. This causes the normally open contacts to close and energize the gas valve.
    · ·
  • bob youngbob young Posts: 2,137Member ✭✭✭
    'stat relay R8222

yes, i neglected to state that is a thermostat relay.  a very annoying 'stat relay, i may add !!  lol  . it actually happened to me in my house this morning. !!!  how revolting !  can't turn a buck on a no heat call when its your own !!!   happy new year !
    · ·
  • gerry gillgerry gill Posts: 2,392Member ✭✭✭
    i believe they are there

due to some people using power stealing thermostats which did something weird with the dampers if i recall..i have on occassion bypassed them when a standard two wire t-stat was used and had no issues..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com

Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

· ·
  • AbracadabraAbracadabra Posts: 750Member ✭✭✭
    bad contacts

a mechanical relay?  I'd guess contacts go bad after a while.
    The Vanguard Company
    Specializing in Commercial Steam and Hot Water Heating
    Chicago, Illinois
    · ·
  • Mike KusiakMike Kusiak Posts: 604Member
    edited January 2012
    Contact ratings

Depending on which model you are using, the contacts could be the problem. The R4222A models have contacts designed to switch high power 120 or 240 VAC loads. Using this relay to switch 24V control circuits will be a problem as the contacts will not self clean. Oxide builds up on the contacts and eventually the circuit won't switch.

According to the spec sheet, the R4222K has pilot duty contacts rated to switch low voltage circuits, which would be a better choice.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/60-0000s/60-2056.pdf
    Post edited by Mike Kusiak on
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!