Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Service

Options
Rich P_3
Rich P_3 Member Posts: 34
Hi Bob:
The Field air intake kit is a great addition to your system. One small problem sometimes is that really cold air
can affect combustion-again another reason to becareful when adjusting the burner. Hope this helps
Rich P.

Comments

• Bob_43
    Bob_43 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Just had my yearly boiler service done and

was wondering what these numbers mean and if these are decent???? Is 82% efficency good?

Weil Mclain Series 68 Boiler (Size 3 113000 BTU) with Becket Burner.

Not sure how old it is, but I don't see the 68 series on their website.

Gross Stk Temp = 450
    Net Stk Temp = 400
    CO2 = 10%
    Smoke = 0
    Breech Draft = .04
    Overfire Draft = .02
    Efficency = 82%
    Nozzle Size 75 Angle 80% Spray A

Thanks,
    Bob
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Decent numbers.

When they come next year, have them change the flue pipe. You'll see a little higher combustion effeciency.This is but a piece of the puzzle. The stack temp will drop 50°(getting rid of the built up coating on the piping) or so if they brush the boiler thoroughly.

I have the same boiler in my parents home with a Riello burner and get consistant 85% every year. Chris
  • Bob C
    Bob C Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will have them change the flue pipe next year. Can you tell me how old the Series 68 Boiler is? I bought the house 6 years ago, so I I have no clue when it was replaced. 10 Yrs, 20 yrs?

Thanks

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    stack temp seems high...

the pump pressure might be good to know also...
  • Bob C
    Options
    Stack Temp

It's steam. No pump.
  • Bill_24
    Bill_24 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    oil pump pressure

Bob, he means oil pump pressure.

Bill.
  • Bob C
    Options
    Sorry about that.

I don't have a way to check it. I'm just a homeowner, not a pro.
  • Ragu
    Ragu Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Bob

I think the 68 series was discontinued in 1993 or 4. They were around for a long time.
  • Bob C
    Options

Thanks Ragu,
    That means it's at least 11 years old. Still plenty of life left to it.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

BoB, next time your service guy comes have him take the jacketing off --there is a steel plate on the left side in the rear that is covered by the jacketing ,,it is common for them to start leaking. when they do they leak slow and the water evapoates before it is noticed -- if your feeder keeps up with the loss of water it will not be detected --
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Everything looks good except CO2... 10% is too low, you should be able to get 11%

You probably have too much excess air
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Smoke and CO

I also agree that the CO could have been raised possibly to 11 or 12% being that the smoke is at 0 (at 10% CO) and I also think that by raising your CO %, this in turn should lower your stack temp. By how much I dont know but I think it will drop somewhat.
  • Bob_43
    Bob_43 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Call Back?

So it sounds like I should call back my oil company to have them adjust the CO level?

Why didn't they adjusted it at the yearly service when the reading where taken?

What will happen at the lower CO level? Does it make it less efficient?

Your answers just leads to more question. By the way, I appreciate the feedback.
  • Empire_2
    Options
    Lower CO

A lower reading that 10% in your case will cause the stack temp to rise. In this case you want a higher CO level while keeping the smoke test at 0 or 1, Higher co, will increase end result efficiency but it is a fine line between too much CO and clean burning system performance. 10% is not bad. Nothing I would call back on.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Bob

Make sure you tell them it's the CO2 level raised NOT the CO. Two completely different flue gases. Related but very different. CO2 raised is a good thing, CO raised is definitely NOT!
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Mark Hunt_2 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Right Steve

You'd have to call Dr.Kevorkian to raise the CO levels and he is currently....uh....detained.

CO2 not CO.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich P_3
    Rich P_3 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    combustion testing

Please keep in mind there are many things a tech has to
    take into consideration when adjusting your boiler. High
    efficiency is important but, other things such as nearby clothes dryer (lint entering the blower/fan) BoBo the Kitty
    (Fur, and clumps, litter boxes in the vicinity?)
    these reasons affect whether your boiler can make it all year long without emergency service. We worry about reliability and a happy customer
    I hope this helps
    Rich P.
  • Empire_2
    Options

Sorry, I forgot the (2)!!!!!!
  • Bob C
    Options

Rich,
    Thanks for the input, just tring to get the most out of every gallon of oil. No need to worry about BoBo the kitty since we do not have one. Also, this is the first reading taken since I had a Field Controls Air Intake installed. So the Boiler is getting plenty of fresh air.
This discussion has been closed.