Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

worth it??

I would definitely use a staging control. You can have first boiler secondary circ run as stage one to extract any heat prior to firing, stage two as the on/off boiler, then stage 3 the second boiler circulator and then stages 4 & 5 on the staged boiler. Peak performance and efficiency. Use a good controller like a Tekmar or equal to do the work. Wirig will be fun but can be done.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I will be piping two Laars boilers in parallel on the same pri loop. One an 'on / off' unit and one with 2-stage valve. Am planning on putting the on off unit as pri boiler, and staged unit as secondary to utilize staged valve. Is a 2-stage controller the best option here? Each boiler is oversized for it's load, but not large enough to carry the entire load. Any other way to get 3 stage without the commercial controller?

Thanks Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Tim

I think what you`re saying is you have 2 "bang-bang" boilers(non condensing), one is OK for relatively light loads, but both are too much when it`s design temp, right?
    If the customer will not go for a M/C, try an appropriate sequencer that will give these units equal use.
    Hope this helps.

Dave
  • seabee570
    seabee570 Member Posts: 89
    low cost control

you could use johnson controls system 350 controls,modules that snap together and can be staged....It seems that you are looking for low cost controls,they are very flexible,no need to spring for big bucks....they snap together,can be staged,aand have adjustable differential up to 30 degrees.they also have an electronic outdoor reset controller
  • JohnPorterfield
    JohnPorterfield Member Posts: 1
    2-stage boiler/burner retrofit spec?

Hi,
    Extensive field study followed by excellent publications seen at www.mncee.org define the savings potential for steam and boiler retrofits in multi-unit buildings. My firm provides energy audits, and we assist with the install phase, working with htg professional and with our clients. We recommend a steam balancing protocol, largely based on Mpls work, that includes two-stage firing of the boiler. I hope to share steam balancing and equipment retrofit experience, including instructions how this work will improve and not compromise equipment performance, comfort, durability, safety. I’m looking for discussion of steam balancing, and hope to identify or co-develop a specification for retrofitting boiler / atmospheric burner for 2-stage operation.
    I’m disposed to R&D controls RD 200 Series > www.rdcontrolsystems.com for multi-stage capability.
    I’m new to Wall. My search of Wall – Heating for 2-stage revealed an interesting range of opinion on outcome of 2-stage burner operation!
    Thanks!
    John Porterfield
    Energy Detectives dot com
  • tekmar

A tekmar 262 would work and taco has some two stage controls that may be a little more cost effective.
  • Geoff DeWan
    Geoff DeWan Member Posts: 2
    Johnson Controls

Hi- I'm working with Jerry Sullivan in Los Angeles and he said a guy named Tim from Timco in Santa Barbara was the best he knew. The phone # for Timco in SB is disconnected. If you are the same Tim how can we get hold of you.

Thanks
    Geoff DeWan
    Fort hill Construction
  • Geoff DeWan
    Geoff DeWan Member Posts: 2
    Tim from Timco

Hi- I'm working with Jerry Sullivan in Los Angeles and he said a guy named Tim from Timco in Santa Barbara was the best he knew. The phone # for Timco in SB is disconnected. If you are the same Tim how can we get hold of you.

Thanks Geoff DeWan Fort hill Construction
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I am Tim and my company is Timco, but I have never lived in SB...I am from the Bay Area and moved here to SLC in '91. Small World? I do HW and steam, and do work on Laars units. Email me direct & I'll see if I can help.

Tim

timco@xmission.com
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.