Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

icening attic insulation

JB_8
JB_8 Member Posts: 85
Try WWW.Icynene.com for a guy who instals it in your neck of the woods. The insulation isn't a do it your self thing & its about 4 to 5 times the price of the do it your self stuff. You don't have to have vents on the roof with the stuff.

Comments

• J.M.
    J.M. Member Posts: 25
    icening insulation in attic

The heating and a/c contractor who is replacing the boiler in our house and installing central air has suggested we consider "icening" insulation for the attic rafters. He said it will keep things warmer in the house during the winter and keep the attic cooler, and thus the a/c system working more efficiently, in the summer. We already have lots of insulation under the attic floor, so is adding this insulation to the rafters a good idea? Is this particular product a good one? Any guidance on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    JM
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
    often people wonder......

why ac or heating contractors seem to want to sell insulation...heres the quick of it, it reduces equipment size,makes your home more comfortable,and cuts down on owning and operating costs.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    It may be more cost effective

to just blow in additional fiberglass on top of what you have.

Icynene is great, and pricey, I have it in my shop sprayed directly below the metal roofing, but it didn't have an attic space.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • PM_2
    PM_2 Member Posts: 38
    Waste

If you have a vented (cold) attic, insulating the rafters will do nothing but shorten the life of your roofing. If your heating contractor doesn't get this, you need to find another one. If you heating contractor is proposing to install HVAC equipment outside of the envelope of the house, I'd ask alot of quesions because there are few good reasons to do this and many bad ones.

Icyene insulation is a perfectly reasonable system when properly applied. It is one of the higher performance options out there, probably the best after SIPS.
This discussion has been closed.