Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinions

Options
bigugh_4
bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
st but not least, what about fresh air into the furnace room? combustion air sounds a bit tight.

Comments

• J Matthers_2
    J Matthers_2 Member Posts: 140
    Options

Just looking for some second opinions here. I have a two story staff dorm building with each floor zoned. One furnace and one ac condenser. When just one zone calls for heat, the furnace kicks on and the damper for that zone opens. I suspect the downstairs zone is on more often (door probable left open on a 20* degree day – it is a dorm after all). When this happens the furnace dumps excess heat into the furnace room. So much so that it popped a sprinkler head. Fortunately the new system was not charged yet. Anyway, it has likely compromised the heat exchanger as well. My HVAC maintenance company wants to put in two furnaces and two condensers which will solve the problem but is $$$. Are there modulating furnaces out there that may offer a more economic solution to the situation? If so I can just replace the furnace and leave the single condenser ( only two years old).

Thanks
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Rent Space problems.

Brain storming here. Fresh air for the furnace room, i.e. combustion air ? Self closeing hinges on the outside doors? (fire code approval) Thermostat in furnace room, such that either or both furnaces would be shut off, say at 90 Degrees? Stand back and take in the whole situation. There are always opportunities to do something different in cases like this. Make sure fire codes are obeyed.
    bigugh.
  • J Matthers_2
    J Matthers_2 Member Posts: 140
    Options

Good old fire marshall stops by quite often. We do things right so he must like the coffee.
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Options
    Hello

Talk to you hvac provider about installing a Static presure by-pass damper, this will tie the surply to the return to recirc the air when only one zone is calling , instead of dumping it. one when one zone calls the damper opens and lets the excess air to be drawn into the return, when both zones are calling the damper stays shut and sends all the air to the both zones....David
  • errnie j guarino
    Options
    I think you mean

a SPRD.. Static Pressure Regulating Damper. Sized correctly and mounted 5' or more from the unit on the return. This should alleviate the problem in heating mode. Cooling is a little different. Make sure you're not caling for 60' in cooling or you'll undercharge the coil and presto, we have ice:)
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Options
    thanks Errnie

This discussion has been closed.