Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Running a forced hot water heat loop on a steam boiler.

Options
Dave Stroman
Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
There should not be an auto feed to the new system. The boiler is still a steam boiler? The feeder should be set up just like it always was. You need to maintain the water level in the sight glass. Once the hot water loop is purge of air, it will stay full of water.

Dave Stroman, Denver

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=506&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
Dave Stroman

Comments

• PT
    PT Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Steam boiler

Good evening,

First off I would like to thank your web site for providing me with exellent infomation on how to run a forced hot water heat loop on a steam boiler. I am a plumbing and heating contractor who knows a lot more about plumbing than heating, but after serching threw your site all my questions were anwsered excepted for one.

As I said before I have eleminated the steam system on the first floor in a two family, except for the boiler which is only two years old. I have it piped per instruction of your site but what is missing is I don't know where to tie in the potoble water from the auto feed to the new system , and do I need any type of steam vent on the boiler itself?

Thank you sooooooo much for your time and providing such a great forom to get this type of info! For the last week I have searched this site every day and I don' think that I will be stoping any time soon!

Thanks again.
    PT
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    There are two ways to get a steam boiler to also do HWBB...

One is to use the tankless coil as the HWBB zone, the other is to pipe into the "below-the-normal-water-line" point in the block and/or condensate return piping.

Which is it?

If the former, you'll have to install exactly the same array as any HWBB system: service valve, BFP, PRV, FFBP and isolation valves.

If the latter, as long as the 'head' of the circulator exceeds the highest point of the HWBB piping - it will fill any air-breaks any time it comes on. Further, since there should be no high point bleeder in this form of HWBB, no air can break the vacuum in the tall "arch" once filled, unless of course the water level in the steam side drops a lot - at which point the air can replace the vacuum "column" that exists when the circulator is off.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.