Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

roll out insulation

The Barrier is expanded polystyrene of slightly less thickness than the total assembly, period.

nothing magic about it, it's not bubble wrap, and as long as 3/4" of foam would be adequate I'd be comfortable using it. I don't think it's necessarily any better at conforming to voids though?

Comments

• Bill Clinton_5
    Bill Clinton_5 Member Posts: 38
    roll out insulation

Does anybody have experience with a cellular foam underslab insulation known as "The Barrier?" The stuff is available in 3/8"; 3/4"; and 1 1/4" thicknesses. The 3/4" has an r-value between 3 and 4.

My need is to insulate about 2400 sq ft post-tensioned slab, placing tube over the insulation and 1 1/2" gyp over that. Would prefer to use 1" rigid board insulation, but the pt slab wasn't troweled and has irregularities I think would cause voids under the board insulation and lead to cracks in the tile finish floor. I'm thinking the roll out insulation will conform to contours well enough to prevent that.

Would welcome any knowledge infusions you could provide.

Bill Clinton
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Here we go again...............................................

Its an honest question Bill, but this topic is about as controversial as Obama's pastor.....If we are talking about the same stuff...also known as Insultarp...this stuff does not rank with rigid polystyrene in the r-value dept, which I am sure is true...but I still think it is better than nothing..I've used it. I have used both, but not every job has the bucks/time in it. I'll put the choice in the HOs hands and quite a few will opt for the "lesser" product. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Not the same stuff Matt...

The stuff Bill is talking about is made by a company named Northwestern Ohio Foam Products.

http://www.nofp.com/barrier.html

I tested their foam under the driveway slab that was part and parcel of an article I wrote. Although it is better than nothing at all, I agree with your premise. Place all the cards on the table, face up, and let the person driving the bus, with your guidance, make the decision.

I hope they adjusted their R value claims downward. They were rediculously high at one point...

ME
  • Bill...

Small world. Steve Ebels asked me a similar question, which I answered at

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=57206&mc=5#Message403543

I think it may clear up some of your questions as well.

See you in Chicago?

ME

• bbbbbut mark, "R value doesn't matter" ;) that was the arguement. It was a misleading K-value claim that got them sued.

too bad really, because of all the roll products they had the least "snake oily" product. hopefully they learned their lesson.
  • Bill Clinton_5
    Bill Clinton_5 Member Posts: 38
    Thanks Guys

My question really wasn't about the low r-value.
    At 3/4" thickness they claim r-3 to r-4. This ain't much but is a heckuva lot better than r-0! The place is already built and almost ready for close in. Fancy schmantzy exterior doors are in place. I'm telling the owner the bottom line minimum build up is going to be 2 1/2", and he's having a tough time swallowing the problems that will cause him.

My question is: does this product have enough flex to handle a poor concrete surface (wood float only) or am I going to have to get a grinder in there for the really high spots and pour out a thin slurry to flatten the lesser irregularities.

Hi, Mark: Haven't decided yet about Chicago. If I get there, would love to buy you a beer.

Bill
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    might be a concern

i might be concerned about flex and 1 1/2 gypcrete, not a whole lot of weight there- during pour. it might be easy to get pockets where the insulation do not flatten and the gypcrete kind of create an island around the pockets?

maybe use vinyl floor glue?
This discussion has been closed.