Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Gauge for Steam...

mel rowe
mel rowe Member Posts: 324
I understand these valves are only designed for 140 degrees max. Will they survive on a steam boiler? How should they be piped to help protect them from heat? Thanks.

Comments

• Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561

Need an online source for a low pressure (0-5lb. max) large dial gauge for low pressure steam. Plan on installing it off and above the skim tapping on the new boiler. Thanks.

P.S. Checked McMaster-Carr; seems like the lowest range is 0-15lb.
  • Tom R.
    Tom R. Member Posts: 139
    Guage

You normally want to scale the guage at 1.5 times the pressure you expect it to see(safety valve setting) to avoid stressing the guage to its maximum reading. But if you insist, try Ashcroft #25 1490A 02L 5 PSI at Grainger.
  • Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561

Thanks Tom. I already have the mandatory 0-30 (2x relief valve) which of course is useless. Just wanted to add a gauge that could be usable.
  • don_52
    don_52 Member Posts: 199
    Link to low pressure gauges...

Bob,

If these fit your need, inexpensive, order online

http://www.wika.ws/lowpressure.php

HTH,Happy Steaming, db
  • Hitzkup
    Hitzkup Member Posts: 63
    air out

i would say these gauges wil never meet the steam because they have no air vent. the only thing that actualy meets it is compressed air. so the question is how hot is the air between the water in the siphon and the gauge. and another question. isn't the gauge supplied with the boiler (30 psi)made the same way as those low pressure gauges in question

mark sch
  • Tom R.
    Tom R. Member Posts: 139
    Gauge piping

Install with a pigtail loop below it. The water seal protects the gauge from heat.
    pipers
  • Sean_17
    Sean_17 Member Posts: 4
    mel - i'

> I understand these valves are only designed for

> 140 degrees max. Will they survive on a steam

> boiler? How should they be piped to help protect

> them from heat? Thanks.

• Sean_17
    Sean_17 Member Posts: 4
    i've used the wika gauge with no problem.

As long as you use a pigtail as mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem. The pigtail never gets too hot to touch above the siphon, which it would be above 120*.
This discussion has been closed.