Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electrical

Jerry_15
Jerry_15 Member Posts: 379
Easy to get a voltage readout feeding back through the neutral to ground. Isolate the transformer and ohm it out, bet you got a dead duck.. Next time put a inline fuse on it, or better yet get one with a re-set button and save yourself a midnight call and the customer some dough.
Ohm BOTH SIDES OF THE TRANSFORMER with wires disconnected.

Comments

• RICK_40
    RICK_40 Member Posts: 7

troubleshooting air handler with 100 va transformer,found nothing working they are bringing 208 stepping it down to 120 .losing the neutral antbody have that happen .when i measure from the common 120 side to ground I read voltage.could a transformer do that .the last time i had thid broken neutal in panel touching one of the mains.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

Not sure what you mean but a 208-120 step down transformer if the neutral on the 120 volt side is not grounded you might read voltage from the neutral to ground and will read 120 volts from hot-neutral.

It will "float" until you ground it.

ED
  • RICK_40

installed transformer it was the problem never had one act like that.12 foot scaffold with very little room to work with ,glad it is fixed.
  • Jerry_15

So did you fuse it this time? Or get one with a re-set? Nahh.
  • RICK_40

installed with reset .
  • Jerry_15

Good on yah! Well worth the extra cost to customer on those big ones. On the 40's I just snip one of the 24v leads and crimp two spade connectors on. Slide in a 2 amp standard car two prong car fuse. Cost? 50 cent. Piece of mind, priceless.
This discussion has been closed.