Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Good Music

Pre 70's selections - very well thought out, good mix.

70's selections - not much thought, some of the worst these groups did and some vital groups left out entirely.

After the 70's selections - he's kidding, right?

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

I stumbled upon this list of 100 all-time best songs. Knew many, listened to the rest and I have to say there's not a bummer in a group that spans decades and genres.

To put it into the heating context, I'll make a CD out of this group to play while painting/bronzing radiators...
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Captain and Tenille? Puh-leaze!

At least U2, CCR, Nirvana and some other greats were in there.... I bet that guy never, ever heard "Born to Run"!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Barba
    John Barba Member Posts: 166
    Eclectic list...

interesting compilation -- I don't think I've every seen Lou Reed, Petula Clark and Madonna on the same playlist. Gotta get to work on the Ipod!

JMB
  • rb_9
    rb_9 Member Posts: 1
    For Mike et al

I told fellow guitarist Mike Ward I would share some of my collectibles.

I put myself through school working for AM Record and had the time of my life including collecting some very cool memorabilia, seeing some outstanding concerts from backstage and doing a number of DJ gigs to pay the bar bill. Music for grad night was recorded on a reel to reel over two week period leading up to the biggest hangover I've ever had and has never been played since...but ohhhh how I want to dig it out. Too much stuff to show it all but here’s a few albums and promo items from the UK and Blues section.

The Stones Sticky Fingers Album released in Europe was considered to extreme for America. This Spanish version would be considered tame by today’s standards.

Although not a real rare album, The London Howlin’ Wolf Session had Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wymann and Charlie Watts doings some great old classics from Chester Burnett, Willie Dixon and others.

Jamming with Edward is a bit rarer with Nicky Hopkins, Ry Cooder, Wymann, Watts and the Glimmer Twins sans Richards (was having a bad day).

Another blues favorite is Drinkin’ TNT ‘n’ Smokin’ Dynamite with Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Bill Wyman, Pinetop Perkins, Dallas and Terry Taylor doing original materials and some stuff by Sonny Boy Williamson.

Rough Mix is a great album with legendary Ronnie Lane, Pete Towshend, Eric Clapton, Graham Lyle, Ian Stewart, and John Entwistle. Clapton plays a Dobro in this gig.

One of my favorites is Ian McLagan who plays with his pals Ronnie Wood, Bobby Keys, Johnny Lee Schell, Ricky Fataar et al. The clipped corner (sometimes a hole punch) indicates a demo version.

Last but not least are the promo poster (36"x36") from the front and back covers of Tatoo You. When the promo materials were released in our zone, stores were given the front or back…I had to do some serious horse trading but ended up with both. I have others rolled up in storage...somewhere in the basement..hmmm.

anyways...on rare occasions these get played on a Technics Direct Drive SL-10...it's the only thing that survived 25 years of moving around.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    RB

How goes the guitar playing? You are probably an expert by now. Have you ever heard of Al Pettaway? He has played guitar for a lot of the bluegrass greats over the years. I went to a seminar he put on last weekend on how to play bluegrass, celtic and blues out of a DADGAD tuning. Most of what he said went whooshing over my head, but what I got was a first hand look of greatness and economy of movement. His hands were barely moving as hundreds of notes poured out of his instrument. I watched in slack jawed amazement. You would have apprciated it. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Top 100 ?

He says something about packing in three minutes. Looks like he pulled this list out of a barrel in three minutes. Glad I'm not stuck with this guy and his list :)
  • Mi39ke
    Mi39ke Member Posts: 44
    Liquid Pictures

Thanks for the cool imagery, Robert! You never cease to amaze. I must confess to never really getting into the Blues experience--at least knowingly. Saw a cool documentary once where all these old guys were sittin' on their porches, playing things from the heart. That was inspiring beyond compare...guess I have a lot of stuff yet to explore.

People have been telling me for years that Townes Van Zandt was one of the greatest poet/songwriters of all time and I only ordered LIVE AT THE OLD QUARTER, just the other day. Reading his biography at the moment. I'm so far behind the times, they are looming in my sights. -- Michael Ward
  • rb_6
    rb_6 Member Posts: 222
    another cool collector item

Scott, Mike…having (using Johns word) an eclectic past can be sometimes disturbing! As we say at home ‘we’re just having fun with our brains’.

Wayne, I had not heard of Al - what great stuff. You always inspire me.

Here’s another item for those who may like the big band sound, A&M’s The Hotel Orchestra album was one of first in digital recordings…though the music genre doesn’t hit my radar screen often enough, the promo poster is a great piece and occupies a spot in the music room. If you recall A&M was big into the big band with early greats like Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass and Burt Bacharach. The logo had the Trumpet underlining the A&M…and as you can see in the photo, a brass piece sits just below to accent the story.
  • Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    The Radiators?

Speaking of good music and a band with a name we all can identify with, New Orleans best rock and roll band the Radiators. If you ever get a chance to see them, their concerts are legendary and don't forget your dancing shoes. I have a customer we put in a Buderus GB 142 in this winter and he's having them play in his backyard this summer and I got the invite :)

Steve M
  • Mi39ke
    Mi39ke Member Posts: 44
    Liquid Tunings

I'm not much of a guitar expert, but the new Fender VG stratocaster comes with the DADGAD tuning on board. An American made stratocaster that also has digital enhancements to model four other guitars (about a $600 upcharge). On each of the modeled guitars (strat,tele, humbucker and acoustic) you can switch to a number of different tunings by simply turning the knob. Off the top of my head, I think it has an Open G, Dropped D, d modal, DADGAD, Baritone and 12-string for choices.

Wish I could recommend the git, but it's spent more time in the shop than in my hands--the Munchkin of the industry [g]--I think Fender whisked it out too quick, wanting to compete with Gibson's digital monstrosity, letting the consumer be the test monkey. I'm giving them all the time in the world to fix the problems though, 'cause I really like it's feel. Not having to turn pegs for alternate tunings is killer. In the future, you will buy a favorite guitar for the original sound, then buy or download your favorite modeled versions and alternate tunings. Kinda like Variax is already doing to some degree, I guess. Wish I had time to study guitars...they are prettier than boilers, IMO.

Oh, and if you are a test rat for the MAN and don't have to worry about being blowed up real good [sic], it makes the feeling of being used for buying something before it's well done a little easier to take [sick chuckle and grin].

Michael Ward
This discussion has been closed.