Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam to water conversion (Ray L)

Hey Jason the shut off on the spirovent is for when I was purging the system. When the feeder is activated sometimes it tends to cause the spirovent to leak water. I take the 1/2 gas cock off when I'm done purging

Comments

• Ray Landry_2
    Ray Landry_2 Member Posts: 114
    G115 with panel rads & radiant

Out of all the systems I've ever put in, this one is probably the one I am most jealous of, mostly because I would love to do this type of design in my own home, I just dont have the money! We ripped out the old steamer, all the piping and rads, and installed this g115/34 with a 53 gallon tank, home runs to all the panel rads set up on constant circ with TRV's, a 20 x 22 great room with vaulted ceilings heated by joist track radiant controlled by one room sensor for the high temp radiant, and three way I series mixing valve for the radiant heat. I stopped by a few weeks ago and since the first week of november when it was fired up, they have only used 260 gallons of oil in three months time. That is very close to a 50% saving in their monthly heating bill, not to mentino before their hot water was heated by electric and not even oil!
  • Nice workmanship

but what kind of "old steamer" were you comparing it to?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ray Landry_2

It was an american standard out of the 40's
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    nice

Nice work Ray excellent attention to detail even liked the little thermal loop for the domestic HW supply nice .You defenitlely fit 2 pounds into a 5 lb bag ,nice layout and a nice use of the space aloted.Your boss should take good care of you craftmen like your self you are not a dime a dozen just just don,t extist amore like a endangered spieces .Keep up your above the line quality Ray you are a true craftman you have to love the fact that there oil use has gone down it one of the things i kinda miss not working for the oil company and hearing how much less they took on there last auto fill by thew drivers made me feel like i did save them something .Again Ray excellent work .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • VERY nice...

Nice mix of new and old piping manners and materials as well. You did the Dead Men proud. Is that date written on the chimney indicative of the original date of construction?

You should document the savings and use that system in promoting your business/services, then you can afford to do your own home and turn it into a show case.

ME
  • Ray Landry_2

Thanks Mark and clammy for the comments! Clammy how's the new company treating you? I havent seen any of your recent work posted are you more on the service end than install now?
  • Ahh... that explains

about half of the fuel savings, possibly more.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

hi ray seen lots of work from you lately and like it just one question on this install. is that a shutoff valve attached to the spirovent? what is that for?

thanks
    Jason
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

good idea thanks ray nice work :-) i look forward to seeing more of it

thanks
    Jason
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    L.L.C.

I'm now doing my own stuff working for myself ,i could not stand working for any body who just throws prices around and tryes to cut corners to make the job happen .Alot of that round these parts and alot of shoddy work alos ,i,m just floating along getting by ,still doing install and fixing junk but nothing as pretty as that Ray .Peace and good luck ,clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.