Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how does this steam header look?

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
REal Bad...and why do you ask? any problems with this job? I'm serious because I do sometimes see jobs piped like that that actually work halfway decent,,,and others with slight problems that give us a hard time...that's life with The Steam. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Joe_39
    Joe_39 Member Posts: 47
    take a look at this..done right or wrong?

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    right or wrong

thats not right guess the installer didnt read the install manual

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    looks great Jack

What do you intend to do with it? Maybe tie strings to it and hang laundry? J.Lockard
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Too bad we can't see more...

...almost looks like the installer disconnected the equalizer for this one-two-one header monster. It shows a nice use of Permatex or whatever, but a larger pipe diameter and a better connection to the header up above is called for in my book. Note how much the pipe constricts down and back up at either end of the "Y"

In an ideal world, that Weil MC would have two takeoffs that can be properly piped into the header above... but to answer your question, I doubt this system will work well with the little you have shown. But, as Mad Dog quite rightfully points out, sometimes even badly-installed systems work remarkably well.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    I've seen worse

Wrong, but it will work.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • T-O
    T-O Member Posts: 29

It could be ok if it is a dry return or a counter flow main, one pipe parallel system , as it does not need an equalizer. The dry return drop down about two feet from the boiler and connects to the bottom of the boiler.
    T-O
  • Robby
    Robby Member Posts: 5
    BAD +1

+1 I see alot of botched near boiler piping with systems working just fine. I always say......If I would have piped it like that It wouldn't have worked.
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Well....

My vote would be BAD...It may be that the installer just needs to attend one of Dans deadmen schools, that and a pair of glasses to read the piping spec's that come with the boiler....JMHO

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    T-O

If it were a counterflow, then I'd say the outlet pipe is too small.

The two smallest WM SGO's (WM SGO-3 & SGO-4) which I believe one of the two is pictured above need the extra pipe size.

It would appear the installer reduced the outlet from 2&1/2" to 2", then back up to 3'' after making the big zero with the piping.

Counterflow systems need larger supplies. You could "get away" with this on a 1 or 2 pipe but never on the counterflow.

The SGO requires a minimun of 2&1/2" on all counterflow supply outlet piping within its manufacturer's installation instructions of that particular series.

Just MHO... :0

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    The near-boiler piping

is a part of the boiler nowadays, and it must meet the manufacturer's specs.

Good photo for my seminar, though. Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Well I'm glad

someone found a use for it!

Jack, that's a typical knucklehead installation. Go to the Find a Professional page of this site to locate someone who can do it right. If you're in the Baltimore area, contact my company.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Hay Mand Dog....

I know just what you mean -- you find a messed up job and it's heating just fine. But I always wonder how it would heat if it wasn't messed up, or how much lower the bill would be?

On a mess such as this one, I'd downfire the boiler to attempt to reduce the volocity when the steam hit the bull in that tee. That should keep the water from backing out of the returns and flooding the ends of the mains as much! Hahaha.

Hope Jack didn't pay the bill yet.

Ed
  • John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    I'd have...

a better chance of making love standing up in a hammock, than the steam leaving that boiler has of being dry.

• Joe_39
    Joe_39 Member Posts: 47
    thats not my header!

Found this on a heating website, they were showing pictures of their fine work!!!
  • patrick_29
    patrick_29 Member Posts: 17
    If you like that one! What about this one?

• patrick_29
    patrick_29 Member Posts: 17
    After pic

Homeowner owner sold the house before we fixed the rest.
This discussion has been closed.