Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Pressure Gauge

mike jones
mike jones Member Posts: 32
http://www.gaugestore.com/98wikgaug05p1.html

Comments

• Tom_42
    Tom_42 Member Posts: 63
    Steam Pressure Gauge

Does anyone know where one can find a pressure gauge for a one-pipe steam system?
  • Jerry_15
    Jerry_15 Member Posts: 379

Grainger, or anybody. 15 psi, on top somewhere, don't forget the pigtail, big dial and #'s, in case I have to read it. Good luck
  • JoeV
    JoeV Member Posts: 62

That gauge at the gage store is rated for only 140 deg F. Is that good enough for steam?
  • HitzKup_2
    HitzKup_2 Member Posts: 45
    140 degree

Being mounted on a pigtail steam never reaches the diaphragm

HitzKup
  • Jerry_15

Thats true, but if it.s coming right out of the top of the boiler it could still get up there, although I've never seen one fail right off. Good luck.
  • mike jones
    mike jones Member Posts: 32
    low pressure gauge for 1 pipe steam boiler to register

I dug out that link: http://www.gaugestore.com/98wikgaug05p1.html
    searching for our own zero - five to replace our pressure guage, so I can't recommend it cause we havn't bought it yet. Does this even have a prayer of working given all these limitations 140 degrees, pigtail, top of boiler,etc. Unfortunately, with all our research we can't find anyone else that even carries 0-5, at least not in NY, which is a small market. They torture steam people don't they? When we blow through our 0-15, it registers to 2, so if our boiler is overactive which we expect, it could at least show us the 2, shouldn't it ? ps. I read somewhere I cant now find in another link there is a TYPE of gauge we should get, some fancy word like (pneumatic, though that’s probably not even close to the real word)

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Mike, you need to be aware

of Code requirements for steam gauges.

The ASME Code (which has been made law in many locations) states that a gauge on a steam boiler shall be capable of indicating twice the boiler's maximum working pressure. Since residential steam boilers usually have a maximum working pressure of 15 pounds (even though the SYSTEMS they're connected to should not go over 2 pounds) this means that the gauge must read to 30 pounds.

This does not mean you can't install a 0-5 pound gauge, but you must also have a 0-30 pound gauge in place to meet Code.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tim Gardner
    Tim Gardner Member Posts: 183

I've been following this thread because I want to add a second gauge too. So if I want to use 2 gauges, 0-30 and 0-5, is the 0-5 wika a good one to use? That is, will it hold up well on a steam boiler?
  • Jerry_15

Geez Louise you guys are working too hard, a single 30 PSI will do fine, a 15 will work too, your blow off probably goes off at 15!! If you want accuracy and longevity get a liquid filled one for a few extra bucks. Take a break!!!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
This discussion has been closed.