Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 1/2\" trv....

John Ketterman
John Ketterman Member Posts: 187
I don't see any capillary in the photo. It's not a remote head. He got suckered into buying something that won't work.

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    anyone know....

if there is a 1 1/2" trv made by for a CI rad? DAnfoss only goes to 1 1/4"... ty, kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim_65
    Jim_65 Member Posts: 184
    TRV

We had a project recently that we ran into this same exact issue. After researching we found that 1-1/4" was the largest available from Oventrop. If there is one out there I would sure like to be in the know.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

I've searched for them a number of times. 1¼" is the largest I can find from any manufacturer.

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    THAT is what....

feared....How did you guys solve the dilema??? kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO

I've heard that "TRV retrofits" can be built into those large valve bodies. Will try to give a reference later.

Otherwise, you have to do some re-piping plus relocation of the hole in the floor (presuming it's coming up through the floor).

On the presumption that this is was an original gravity system, and you utterly cannot deal with relocating the hole you might be able to:

Install in in-line (straight) TRV with remote sensor in the supply branch. Unless the rad is beyond huge a 3/4" TRV will be more than adequate. Now the difficulty becomes putting that remote sensor (connected by the capillary tube) into the room. Could be very easy if you have an OPEN route and patience. Could be TERRIBLE if you're on an outside wall or below a beam...
  • That radiator became the \"reference\" radiator...

and remained TRV-less.

ME
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    11/2

I used to get 11/2" TRV bodies from Oventrop...they were metric, but by using Rorke's Rule, I was able to fit them on N. Amer pipe threads without leaks. Now, it's too hard to get them. I simply put the TStat in the room with the 11/2" valve and revalve with a standard radiator angle valve.

• Plumbob
    Plumbob Member Posts: 183

I just bought one from Tunstall Associates (they're on the web). They modifed a manual 1-1/2" valve to insert a TRV mechanism. It was not cheap: $150.

Also the TRV handle will be vertical, whereas I thought they were supposed to be horizontal so as to get convective flow through the slots.

Anyway, I haven't installed it yet (obviously) but will find out soon if it works. Sorry about the bad focus but it gives the general idea.
  • Plumbob

• Plumbob

> Also the TRV handle will be

> vertical, whereas I thought they were supposed to

> be horizontal so as to get convective flow

> through the slots.

Yep, this won't work. Ask for your money back.
  • Brad White_48
    Brad White_48 Member Posts: 18
    Different heads

That may be a case of using a remote head and capillary. When you are dealing with any angle valve with a vertical stem (as most are) this is the solution.
  • Brad White_49
    Brad White_49 Member Posts: 14
    I did not say it was the right head

I was agreeing that it was not and was suggesting that the right head is available and should be used.

He just got the wrong head that's all. Not 'suckered', which implies deceit. Tunstall is a stand-up company I have dealt with for some time.
  • JPG...

more than one company makes a right angle adapter to take the sensor head away from the heat source. One that comes to mind immediately is Oventrop. I think maybe the other is Danfoss. Not a bid deal. The fact that they are even capable of making an 1-1/2" TRV valve makes ME a very happy man. Tunstall it is!!

ME
  • John Ketterman

> more than one company makes a right angle adapter

> to take the sensor head away from the heat

> source. One that comes to mind immediately is

> Oventrop. I think maybe the other is Danfoss. Not

> a bid deal.

The photo shows a Macon TRV. Oventrop and Danfoss make adapters to fit Macon TRVs?
  • Robert O'Connor_3
    Robert O'Connor_3 Member Posts: 272
    comments

interesting.....we have and always will stand behind our products.....our business has been built on integrity for the 48 years....thats right 48 years! and its been a lot of fun! an intersting note is that we have developed ( quite a few years back) a "heat guard" which dissapates the heat away from the thermostatic operator....really works well as i have them installed in our present office building and monitor the temperatures according to the dial setting. in many cases institutions do not want to deal with exposed capillaries, so they use our heat gard with great results. kind of long winded, but only appropriate. call me anytime, sincerely, t.p. tunstall www.maconcontrols.com
  • Plumbob

I don't know what this "heat guard" looks like, but the problem is not one that can be solved by a guard.

The problem is that air needs to flow through the TRV to allow it to sense temperature. Since heated air moves vertically, the handle needs to be horizontal so air can flow through the cutouts.

Also, a vertical handle will "see" radiant heat from the radiator and so it will get hotter than the air around it. I assume your guard is something that goes between the radiator and the handle?
  • Paul Pollets
    Oventrop RA adaptors

Chris Rorke at Blueline Supply (Jackson Hole, Wy.)has them in stock. Both ring or short throat and long throat styles.

• Paul Pollets
    Disagree

I've installed TRV's on HW radiators with the head in the vertical position (several hundred, not just one or two). It has a negligible effect. The position of the head does make a difference on steam radiators.

• John Ketterman

Then why does every manufacturer of TRVs require or recommend horizontal mounting? Just to be ornery?
  • Paul Pollets
    Good Question...

But never answered by the TRV manufacturers. Never had a problem with the TRV valves maintaining correct setpoints...ever!

• Mike T., Swampeast MO

Perhaps excessive caution from the engineers? Wouldn't be the first time. Reason I AWAYS read is to ensure "proper" air flow around the sensing element.

Never forget that TRVs are relative AND proportional. My imagination is that vertical orientation will "trap" some warmer air near the sensing element. You'll then need a relatively higher TRV setting for the same room temp compared to horizontal. That "trapped" air may well result in slower response to EXTERNAL changes like solar or occupancy gains.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Speaking as an engineer...

I do have some vertical TRV's in my house. No other choice. They work fine. Could they be more accurate? Probably. But the two that are like that are good enough. Sometimes I admit defeat...
  • At least...

you know when to say when and have the cajones to admit it. I admire that in a man, engineer or not!

ME
This discussion has been closed.