Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

toe kick heater

Steve_35
Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
Don't go in series. Monoflo tee on the return side if the toe kick is above the loop and a monoflo on both sides if the toe kick is below the loop. I like to keep at least 20" between the tees regardless.

Comments

• lakota
    lakota Member Posts: 32
    piping in toe kicks

Is it better to use monoflo tees for feed and return or to pipe it right into the loop as you would the rest of the baseboard
  • Brad White_38
    Brad White_38 Member Posts: 40
    Piping a Toe Kick Heater

I would not pipe it in series; the tubing is only 1/2" so will impose a bottleneck pressure drop.

I would use monoflo tees on supply and return (unless your 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 monoflow data restricts you to using one).

Better yet, I would pipe the heater across the supply and return lines (connecting just after the circulator because you are pumping away of course! And near the boiler return conection). This way the heater gets the hottest water, undiluted- and all the flow it needs. Balancing valve on the return so you don't bypass too much from your radiation loop.
  • lakota
    lakota Member Posts: 32

There are existing tees right after the circulator and flo check spaced 16" apart These are not mono-flo tees, there 3/4 x 1/2 Would I need to change them. There are ball valves on both tees and a boiler drain on one of them for purging The heater will be going about 25 feet from these tees. Is that to far of a run. Will be insulating them Thanks for the responses
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Why is the water going to move through the toekick?

If these are regular tees in the main loop what incentive does the water have to move through the toekick? The pressure drop from the supply tee through the piping, through the toekick and back through the return piping into the main loop far exceeds the pressure drop between the two tees.

Remember water is lazy and wants to follow the path of least resistance. The purpose of a B&G monoflo tees is two fold. First to increase the resistance by putting a restriction in the line between the two tees and second by creating low pressure on the return side of the monoflo loop helping things along.

I'm assuming here there is no type of adjustable restricter, like a gate valve, between the two tees.
This discussion has been closed.