Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

D'mand vs. Grunfos recirc

Options
Jerry_15
Jerry_15 Member Posts: 379
Oh heck, live it up. You already went through the trouble of putting in a return line, and probably insulated the hell out of everything. Put in a little teeny pump and let it blow. The difference in price will make up heat loss/electric cost of use in 20 years maybe, but the warranties are only for a year. How much more technology do you really want to deal with on an everyday basis? My hard-drive is full

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    D'mand vs. Grunfos recirc

Hey guys how have you been?

Any opinions on this? Ran a recirc line, but rather not use due to more standby loss. This is my own house,long ranch. Can't decide which would work for me..TIA!
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    D'mand...

... has my vote. Their system uses demand activation via wireless remote, motion sensor or just a door bell type switch to start the pump. It runs until the water just warms. No other system keeps the run time so low. So, other systems will get similar water savings, but not energy savings. Good insulation is important. I understand activating it before use could be a hiccup, but folks have learned to use light switches without much trouble :~) http://www.gothotwater.com/

Yours, Larry
  • Joe Mattiello_2
    Joe Mattiello_2 Member Posts: 94
    Options

Good Morning
    The D’mand pump will do a nice job for you. However, if you ran a return line, why not use the Taco 006PNP? The D’mand pump is a good candidate for a retrofit using the cold water supply as the return line. Excellent way of installing a recirculation system when a running a return line is just not possible. For your reference, I have attached information on the Taco 006 PNP.

Joe Mattiello
    Technical Support Technician
    Tel. 401-942-8000 X 484
    Fax. 401-942-2360
    1160 Cranston St
    Cranston, RI 02920
    joemat@taco-hvac.com
  • John Barba_2
    John Barba_2 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    D'Mand is like...

...primary/secondary for plumbing. If doable, pipe a 3/4" PEX loop in the basement, connected to the water heater, with the D'mand pump on the return side. Get the primary loop as close as possible to the fixture groups, and then use multi-port Tees to feed the hot water fixtures directly. If you keep the runs to the fixtures short -- less than 10 feet if possible, you'll run about a cup of water down the drain before the hot water gets there. You can enable the pump with either a push button switch or a motion sensor, whichever makes sense. You can give me a buss at the office if you need some info, or check the Uponor website, product showroom section. Good luck, Bob...

JMB
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Exactly!

John, I just piped a large house this way using one inch PEX with short half inch branches,(all insulated). Using demand control, it should give really fast service. It's nice to see you mention it. Sounds like you've been talking to Gary Klein ;~)

Yours, Larry
  • John Barba_2
    John Barba_2 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    California Energy Commission

That group certainly does its research. Some of the numbers Gary showed were absolutely amazing, especially when he showed that a copper run and branch system actually outperforms a home run system on the second use, since the water and the pipes are already hot. Never would have looked at it from that point of view. Duh!

JMB
This discussion has been closed.