Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric

Options
Simply Rad_2
Simply Rad_2 Member Posts: 171
Huh....Electric boilers? I have only installed gas boilers. I am looking for reliability first and foremost. Second, I would like to talk about outdoor reset, do you use boiler reset or P/S mixing. I assume condensation would be an issue running the unit at 90 degree temps so I am thinking P/S mixing. Then I think about short cycling(use a buffer tank) or does the element modualtion control this problem.
Thanks Jeffrey

Comments

• Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

Weil-Mclain comes to mind for a highly reliable electric boiler.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Check into the modulating ones

they work more like a mod con boiler than a simple bang/ bang relay style.

The bang/ bangs eat relays and are fairly noisey if you are not careful where you mount them.

I've used the Thermolec. It is actually a listed boiler, not an instantanous heater. It is also steel, not plastic.

Comes standard with an outdoor reset feature.

www.thermolec.com

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Simply Rad_2
    Simply Rad_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Load manager control?

HR
    Thermolec looks like a good product with the built in reset and modulation. Do you know anything about the load management control, in the installation guide under illustrations. I like so far. How long have you had units out there working .
    Thanks Jeffrey
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

Good find Hot Rod. I am going to research these a little more. Your right bang bang relays are a pain. Hard to troubleshoot as their problems are usually intermittent.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    3 seasons

on a couple, probably 5 or so out there.

The main difference between these and the older style is the microprocessor or circuit board. Basic cast iron boilers have rows of relays and cap tube aquastats to operate them.

The electronic use "controls" with thermistors not unlike what you see on mod con boilers. They are pretty much noise free. But they do use standard threaded elements should you need to replace them.

It's interesting to clamp your Amprobe on these and watch the current draw move all around as the load changes. Without relay clatter sounding like geese eating dominios :)

I have no experience with the load managment component. Give them or a rep a call.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • JimGPE_23
    JimGPE_23 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Condensation?

Where? Condensation relative to low boiler temps is usually mentioned in relation to the moisture in the combustion gases. There ain't none in an electric boiler. So what's the deal with condensation?
  • Greg Gibbs
    Greg Gibbs Member Posts: 75
    Options

Jeffrey, look into Allied....they make a great e-boiler.
    It comes standard with a three stage control that works off the supply water temp. Call the boy's at Ferguson or Richard, they both can get one for you. Allied makes them from 6 to 54 kW (184,000 btu/hr)
    Note: I do not Rep them, just a great boiler, and made by a great company. jmho -Greg
This discussion has been closed.