Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Heating System Issues

Options
TK_4
TK_4 Member Posts: 2
I have a hot water heating system with a gas-fired boiler in my house. I'm having some problems with it.

The water temperature varies from 70 to 170 degrees, and the pressure varies from 15-23 PSI, and it spits out a lot of overflow water. When the pressure drops below 20 PSI, I get no heat on the top floor of the house (4 story townhouse).

Is this normal? Didn't have this water overflow or pressure problems last year (first year in the house).

Is the boiler supposed to keep the temperature and pressure constant or in a narrower range? Could it be that I'm setting my thermostat at too wide a range (74 degrees when occupied, 68 degrees when not)?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Comments

• It sounds like you could have alot of different possibilities going on there. I would advise finding a Pro to get you straightened out.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

When the boiler is not firing, the water will cool to 70...the temp of the house / basement. The pressure thing sounds like you need a new expansion tank. A pro will be able to tell you what your system's issues are...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • TK_4
    TK_4 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    But is this normal?

Thanks guys. So I guess you're saying this kind of temperature and pressure cycling is NOT normal? I have brought a pro in in the past, and I thought he was saying the boiler should keep the water temp at a constant 170 degrees (its set there) and that would keep the pressure constant as well.

I think my flue have some blockage? The boiler is only 2 years old and I can't think of any reason it should not be firing.
This discussion has been closed.