Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating pipe blocked? heat 1/2 house.

Butch_4
Butch_4 Member Posts: 19
Replaced a zone valve yesterday. When I did the soldering where we had to cut the pipe water was still dripping. My neighbor suggested bread in the pipe to soak up the water to get the fitting soldered. Zone valve works fine. Problem is now we only get heat in bathroom and 3 bedrooms. Nothing in kitchen, living room and dining room. When the water comes through the zone valve it travels to the t joint. There it branches to 2 parts of the upstairs and there (I'm pretty sure) is where the problem is. To the left of the t it is hot when calling for heat. Straight ahead it is barely lukewarm. Think it is only that way from the heat radiating. This was fine before. Will the bread from the hot dog roll disolve? Is there anything I can do. I know this sounds stupid. Please do laugh to hard.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Butch

You forgot the hotdog and relish!
  • Steverino
    Steverino Member Posts: 140
    Hi Butch

DO you have a means of purging the 2 zones? I personally would never put any foreign objects in the line, but I would think the bread would dissolve. I think the "Old Timers" used to do something like that.

Mike T.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    power purge the line...

then bread comes out in bucket :) plenty heat then rolls through the system :)

• Butch,

Did you post this question elsewhere also ?

Heating Instructor answered it on findplumbing.com, I think .
    He who knows WHY

Shall be master of

He who knows HOW
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Breaking Bread

Air got in during your repair and has to be purged as suggested by others! The bread DOES dissolve ,and pretty quickly.I use/carry on my truck a product named "Plumbers Bread" by Sterling Joining Technologies, 1/2 " and 3/4 " plugs.I joined AARP (a few years back)so I guess that puts me in the "old timers "group. oh well!
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    sounds

like you have a split loop. You must purge both sides of the loop seperately. The purge setups,hopefully it has them, can be very elusive to find, possibly at the other end of the basement, hidden in the ceiling, etc. The idea was to carry the split loops back on one common pipe to the boiler to save pipe.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

pumpernickel works best
This discussion has been closed.