Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water leaking through Aquastat

BEM
BEM Member Posts: 3
I have a Crown Mega-Stor indirect water heater connected to a Burnham hot water boiler. The system is about 7 years old. I saw this afternoon, that water is leaking through the Aquastat (immersion well) which is attached to the water heater. Do I need a new Aquastat? or do I need to just replace the sealing washer? I am very handy and it looks as though I could do this myself. Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Comments

• Leaking Well

If you have water coming out of the inside of that aquastat well, then there is a hole in it and the well will need to be replaced. There is some sort of water condition or an electrolytic reaction (disimilar metals) that has caused this and that may want to be addressed as well.

The MegaStor and Burnham Alliance are for the most part the same heater in that they are both made by the same company with very similar specifications. I'm not sure what type of well Crown provides (brass or stainless steel) with their heaters. We provide a stainless steel aquastat well to help eliminate the possibility of electrolysis occuring from disimilar metals. Regardless of the cause, the well will need to be changed out as there are no seals or washers. I maight add that this should be done immediately based on the known fact that electrical current and water sometimes don't mix too well! The aquastat may not need to be changed depending on how long this has been leaking and whether it is corroded into the well and can't be removed and on whether it still functions. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

The MS-40 in my house started to drip from the well. Guess what?? it was a welded well and the whole tank had to go!!! It was all of three weeks installed.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • BEM
    BEM Member Posts: 3

Thank you guys. I called the installer. He's going to come out "soon"-hopefully tomorrow. I also called the manufacturer who said it sounded as though given the age (7 years) it was a manufacturing defect and that the whole tank would need to be replaced. So...I think I'll let someone else do the job. Take care.
This discussion has been closed.