Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam vents

chuck_6
chuck_6 Member Posts: 107
Forget about the Dole vents. You should go with Gorton vents. You can look at their website or call Ken Kunz at Gorton at (908) 276-1323.

In the meantime, check the length of your mains and the diameter of the mains as well. Send back the dimensions. If you do and Steamhead replies, listen to him. Properly venting the mains can save you a lot of money and I think Gorton has the best product.

Comments

• Jason_26
    Jason_26 Member Posts: 17
    identify steam vents

I have a dole NO.2B and a dole 74 but im not sure of their specs i need a main vent and i had a website that told me were each goes but i cannt find that site anymore. is a no.2b a main vent or is a 74 or are neither a main vent?
  • Jason_26
    Jason_26 Member Posts: 17

i got the dole vents for free i just want to know if either will work as a main vent
  • I doubt they will

but if you don't mind, I'd like to get my hands on your freebies. We have a friend, Gerry Gill, who with his partner Steve Pajek has set up some lab equipment to measure the throughput of vents like these. I don't think he has had a chance to test those Dole models.

The result of Gerry's testing project is a cross-reference chart which has been badly needed for a long, long time.

As for your mains, if you post the dimensions as Chuck stated above, we can tell you what we know will work.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    Chart

Steamhead, can we fans get a copy of that chart?
  • Brad White_152
    Brad White_152 Member Posts: 23
    It is available

in e-booklet form in the online store for only $10 and the proceeds go to the New York Cares Literacy Progam. a worthy charitable cause.

Product SKU#300

THIS PRODUCT IS AN E-BOOKLET. IT WILL COME TO YOU BY E-MAIL (Please don't forget to give me your E-mail address when you place your order).

Gerry Gill and Steve Pajek know steam heating inside and out. They understand that to balance steam heating systems (both one-pipe and two-pipe) you have to regulate the movement of air as the steam travels from the boiler to the radiators.

Some years ago, Frank “Steamhead” Wilsey and I had put together some information on how quickly certain air vents vent air at very low pressure, which is what you see when a steam boiler first starts up. The information we had was limited, however, and Gerry and Steve set out to fill in the blanks. They bought a quantity of Dwyer Company flow meters and started testing air vents and steam traps to accurately determine their venting capacity. They tested literally every steam air vent made today, as well as every thermostatic radiator trap (both old and new) that you’re likely to find on any job you visit. They laid out their results in a spreadsheet, showing the venting rates at 1 , 2, and 3 ounces of pressure. This is information that has never before been compiled, and it’s exactly the information you need to balance a steam heating system.

They then wrote a very understandable, five-page explanation of the methods used to size main vents, radiator vents, and steam traps, based on the amount of air each will move at certain pressures. These are hands-on guys, and they explain things in a hands-on way. It’s very easy to follow. Along with the spreadsheet, Gerry and Steve also included the diagrams and charts you’ll need to do the job right.

We’re making it available to you as an e-booklet for just $10.

And here’s the best part, Gerry and Steve have asked us to donate ALL the money made on this e-booklet to the New York Cares Literacy Program. We pledge to do just that. All of the money raised here will go to that agency to help people learn to read and write.

People get no better than these two guys. Please buy a copy of Venting Steam Systems Using a Capacity Chart for your library. Everyone wins. Thanks.

P.S. When we receive your order we will e-mail the booklet as a pdf file to you. You can open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader. And again, please don't forget to give me your E-mail address when you place your order. Thanks.

Dan Holohan
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Revised?

Hay Brad...

I remember some talk that these gentlemen were working on a second edition of their listing. Was this ever completed?

The original was a gem!

Long Beach Ed
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    the one available

has the second go around info on it..we have been testing some f&t traps also, but that info will be out later.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Vent testing

Gerry, do you have a "wish list" of vents and traps you'd like to have for testing?

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    hi Gordo

anything and everything not already charted..if you send something i'll get it back to you..frank has sent stuff before..he had a nice collection..just tested a dole #5 today..junk..

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.