Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Towel warmers

Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
six gallons, which serves the need for my radiant floor off season. This was piped in parallel with the "in season" gas fired boiler.

Hot Rod had something similar concocted as a package complete with E-Tank, circulator and controls.

Mine was cobbled together and only had an on-off switch and the tank thermostat. Worked well enough but could have been more sophisticated in control to provide less operating cost.

Comments

• R. Swatton
    R. Swatton Member Posts: 86
    Controling towel warmers

I have used timers, thermostats, switches etc.
    All have their short comings.
    Also what about using then in the summer, when the boiler is shut down with WWSD.
    Someone suggested the other day to connect them to the dhw priority zone which operates in the summer.
    I also thout of using a set point controller with a Tekmar 363 controler.
    All suggestions welcome

Rich Swatton

Authorized Heat Tranfer Products Sevice Agent
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Got room for

an electric towel bar on another wall/ probably the simplest least expensive. or as Brad mentioned put a small electric heat in the hydronic circuit. Laing makes a nice combo heater/ pump 2 KW.

Here is the Laing with a couple ZVs for two small bathroom floor zones.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    Got room for

an electric towel bar on another wall/ probably the simplest least expensive. or as Brad mentioned put a small electric heat in the hydronic circuit. Laing makes a nice combo heater/ pump 2 KW.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    Got room for

an electric towel bar on another wall? Probably the simplest least expensive. Or as Brad mentioned put a small electric heat in the hydronic circuit. Laing makes a nice combo heater/ pump 2 KW.

I post pic later.

hot rod

• hr
    Got room for

an electric towel bar on another wall? Probably the simplest least expensive. Or as Brad mentioned put a small electric heat in the hydronic circuit. Laing makes a nice combo heater/ pump 2 KW.

I post pic later.

hot rod

• Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

I have done the loop of the DHW thing. It works well. I used a Taco 2 zone controller and just wired the end switch to the DHW priority. I generally put towel warmers on a timer switch or a programmable timer switch. Here is how I piped it...

• R. Swatton
    R. Swatton Member Posts: 86
    temperatures

I like the idea of using a 6 gallon DHWH for a summertime application or maybe year round.
    Which brings me to the next question.
    At what temperatures do you run your towel warmers?
    I have always mixed them down to 140* with a fixed temp mixing valve and progresive re-set.
    I just think that 180* running for without out door re- set will over heat the room or be dangerous for little fingers.

Rich

Authorized Heat Tranfer Products Sevice Agent
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Temperatures

Rich,

I set the DHW aquatstat for about 120, that is just a preference. I could get 160 out of it when at full tilt but that was too much for the space. (No AC, just exhaust via a heat exchanger).

I imagine I could use a TRV responding to space or to surface temperature but what I have is simple enough, adjusted at the DHW heater. Again, jury-rigged and left that way; not thoroughly thought out.
This discussion has been closed.