Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Art Auction

The little digital image you see displayed with this post is a better representation of what it "really" looks like than the photo of the photo.

If you print the digital image on your typical color bubble jet you'll probably notice that the intense orange takes on magenta overtones. I did apply the proper "color correction" based on the printer used when I submitted the Photoshop RGB image to the printing firm. I was ADAMANT that there should be NO HINT of magenta as to me such DESTROYS the image. The printing firm charges BIG $$$ for "corrections". They made none.

The orange is not quite as intense as you see on a computer monitor. Even though it is printed on MATTE paper, it still "glows". The highlights are pure white--noticeably "whiter" than the brightest white matting around the print. The deep shadows are the darkest tint of amber conceivable--not black. If you don't believe me, ask Dan.

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

For Alan:

"Unico Connection" by Michael W. Thies

Approx 13" x 18" image size professionally printed on archival paper. Shown here is a small version of the original digital image. Click for a photo of the framed and matted version you will receive.

Three copies currently exist. Dan Holohan, Bob Rohr and mine. This is for my original copy hanging in my office. I will however replace.

Opening bid of $200 includes shipping/handling to the U.S. Additional postage for outside the U.S.

Copy image to your viewer and rotate. Which way does it go???
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Trust me, guys,

it's gorgeous. Look great in your office.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Who wants to bid on this

one-of-a-kind artwork?
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Quite

the conversation piece for a pro, and the money goes to a true friend.

Can I get a bid?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark_46
    Mark_46 Member Posts: 312
    Mike

Quite frankly, I dont get it. Is the picture intended to be a still life? Or is there a tounge-in-cheek alternate menaing to the image?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO

Utterly nothing tongue-in-cheek. I guess you could categorize as "still life", but to me it's more abstract art.

It's the photo of a Unico branch takeoff fitting modified to connect to central vacuum tubing (the white thing at the left) and wrapped with bubble foil. I took the picture at night in my office. Couldn't use a flash as the bubble foil created a terrible glare that obscured all detail.

I stuck it on two of my fingers and held it over an old-fashioned floor lamp (has the big bulb in the center pointing up). Just the preview from the camera amazed me. When I loaded into the computer I was shocked--instead of the "industrial photo" I'd intended, I saw art! The image is utterly unmodified--not even cropped. I still cannot quite explain the background color. The actual background is the same color (mossy green) as in the photo of the framed image.

The actual print is from a professional firm. On very high quality, heavy "linen-finish" paper. The actual printer used is an extremely expensive (10s of thousands) bubble jet (Cannon?) using permanent dyes. Both the firm who printed and the local store that framed commented about the unique appearance. I entered it into a "professional" contest at worth1000.com (my first entry there). It was accepted and was doing quite well in the judging when it was removed for being a couple hundred bytes larger than the maximum allowed. My mistake, but by their rules I cannot re-enter into another contest.

Believe me please. People DO stare at this thing. They have NO IDEA what it is. If they ask "what" I tell them, but it doesn't matter...as it's all about form, lighting and color.

I won't say this is the "best" piece of artwork I've ever produced in my life, but it IS the most unique.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO

Write Dan. mailroom@heatinghelp.com

He has a copy. $200 might seem high, but it will cost me nearly that much to replace my copy. Dan told me NOT to accept less...and I'm GLAD to help towards this goal!
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO

I've just shown this image to many people in my bar.

They ALL cock their head.

Which way does it go?

What is it?

My VERY bright female DJ cocked her head and said "something industrial".

• Mike T., Swampeast MO

I've just shown this image to many people in my bar.

They ALL cock their head.

Which way does it go?

What is it?

My VERY bright female DJ cocked her head and said "something industrial".

This discussion has been closed.