Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Hydronic Boiler

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
What is it about the W-Mc control that you find superior to the Buderus? I read your post about the TN4 and you obviously have more Tekmar experience than I do.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=313&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Gerry_3
    Gerry_3 Member Posts: 1
    Hydronic boiler comparison

I'm going to install a new hydronic boiler to replace an American Standard (gas hog) boiler to get better efficiency and lower operating costs. I've been quoted on a WM and Buderus system. The Buderus is about $2,000 more. I really like the guy who quoted the WM, seems very knowledgeable and a neighbor used him and loved his work. I've been reading over some of the notes posted on The Wall and am getting some bad vibes about WM, the product and the support. Any input on the two products would be appreciated. I only want to make this investment once!
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    My opinion

If you like the W-M dealer and he's knowledgeable and experienced with the product and he does nice neat work, use him.

Personally, I see a quality product in the Buderus. That being said, I install the Ultra on a regular basis and have one in my house. I have had about three incidences and they were ALL taken care of PROMPTLY. I even got extra spare parts, just in case. W-M has stepped up every time.

You can see my preference :)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329

Install the Triangle Tube Prestige and have 0 problems and stock no extra parts
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Ahhhhhhh BF

No where was TT mentioned. So you must be a rep.

It would be nice if the OP mentioned whether this is a gas or oil install.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

Gerry both boilers have been tried and It really depends on the exact models you are comparing. The Buderus oil boilers offer a really great design that is good for servicing but now the Weil Mclain Ultra oil boiler offers the same but with more control options. If you are talking Gas Mod/Con boilers the Buderus has a few more control options but depending on your application you may not need them.

If you have found a contractor that you really like go with him. Have you asked him if he is willing to install the Buderus?

BF... There is paid ad space available on this site through Google if you want to peddle your product. As for the rest of us we will continue to give un-biased advice.

• Mike C_3
    Mike C_3 Member Posts: 62
    IMO

I like the Buderus. I have many installed and all working great. As well as the WM the only experience I have with them is the one I took out last week and replaced with a Buderus. I'm partial to what i've been exposed to and what works good for me.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    well then get a viessmann and call it good.

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    I would assume

it is a gas unit.. (he said it was a "GAS HOG")

Both units are very good. Check support, installs done elsewhere, parts and service etc..

The best machine in the world is useless if you cant fix it, get parts or is installed poorly.

Will either do a proper heat loss? or are they estimating and using the mod feature to cover their butt?

Do your homework too. In the information age, ignorance is your CHOICE, and no longer accepted as an excuse.

Mitvh
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Josh

I have to disagree the Logamatic is certainly as good if not better than the W-Mc AFC {Tekmar} control on the Ultra Oil.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    Money

A $2000 difference would lead me to question if these two boilers are of a similar stature as far as operation. My gut (which is unfortunately growing) says that you may be trying to compare a sophisticated Buderus model to a mid range Weil McLain (W/M does make the sophisticated models too).
    Can you post model info?
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

I think it is just that... A matter of opinion. I like Tekmar and Weil Mclain because I know them both inside out. Because I know more about Tekmar controls I can get more out of them than Buderus contols. I can also get any Tekmar control within 1 day. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Buderus boilers. I have installed 5 GB142 series in a row, and I prefer them to the gas Ultra's.

• Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    don't forget

Half, or all that 2,000 might just be better accessories, longer warranty, and better craftsmanship.

Do not decide on price alone......

Cosmo
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    I agree

Oh, believe me, I agree with Cosmo on VALUE-it's something that I deal with daily. The manufacturers that you had mentioned both make boilers that range from "entry level" to top shelf in order to fit a variety of consumer's needs. When making your comparison, you can't judge by name alone .
  • Mike C_3
    Mike C_3 Member Posts: 62
    guideline!

Price is merely a guideline. Remember the old addage "You get what you pay for"
    Pay me now or pay me later.
    OK enough of that. Price is a big factor but it comes down to COMFORT, quality, service, warranty and reliability

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    in my area

A W.M. and Buderus of the same style are very compeditive. If there is a 2,000.00 difference there must be more than just the boiler.

Check the quote to see what else you are getting, it may be more input from the installer but its not just the boiler.

Scott

This discussion has been closed.