Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New house old radiators leeing water fron vents

Options
Jason_26
Jason_26 Member Posts: 17
I found these http://kingsolar.com/catalog/mfg/maidomist/1straight.html but i am not sure what size to get how can i measure the holes that are already plugged or should i just retap new holes. also on the main there is only vent holes on one end and the other end has aspestas on it for insulation. does it have to be right at the end of the line or can it be down further say a feet or 2 from the end?

Comments

• Jason_26
    Options
    radiator peeing at night

I just bought an older home with a 1-pipe steam heating system. the furnace is brand new and the radiators are not. after having the heat on for the first time i noticed the radiators were leaking from the vents. so i found out that the radiators need to be tilted. ok thats done but now the radiator in the master bedroom likes to pee at night when it is on and the others get some drops coming out of them nothing to bad but the one in the bedroom really makes a mess if the bucket is not there. i am not sure how to stop this from happening it is on the second floor and is normally the last one to get the heat to it by a few seconds. why is there water coming out of it. also they all whistle when the heat is on and i did have to replace 1 vent and possible more but one is new but it still gets loud and i get alot of water hammer too. I need help i cannt sleep at night because everytime the heat kicks on i wake up to make sure the radiators arnt flooding my house.....
  • John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    Options
    A couple things...

to check.

1. Make sure the supply valves on your radiators are COMPLETELY open. If they are old, you may have to disconnect the radiators and visually inspect the valves to be sure. Turning them counter-clockwise until they no longer turn does not necessarily mean they are open all the way.

2. Check your pressuretrol settings. The boiler should run on no more that 1 or 2 pounds of pressure.

3. You've checked the radiators for pitch, next is to check the supply pipes in the basement, crawl, etc.

That's where I would start.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jason_26
    Options

well from the looks of the pipes they are pitched right but my next question is the main in the basement someone removed the vents and plugged the holes do i need to put the vents back in? will that help with the water problem or the water hammer i get?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    one other thing....

you said the boiler is new...has it been cleaned out on the water side and skimmed...dirty water will get the vents to spit...kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    yes you need main vents....

other wise the rad vents have to double/triple duty

• LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Buy Dan's Books.

Home owner here.

Check the top of the web page for "The Lost Art of Steam Heat" or "We have Steam Heat". Great books to learn about your system.

Larry C
  • Jason_26
    Options

well my next question is were can i buy main vents.
  • Garret
    Garret Member Posts: 111
    Options

Hold on a sec... I doubt those are what you want.

Post the length of your steam mains, and their sizes (diameter in inches)... Steamhead and a few others here can calculate how much venting you need on your mains..

I believe Gorton sells the best main vents... you can buy them online at pexsupply.com, or through a local plumbing supply shop.

As for the location... ideally, they should be a foot or so before the end of the main, but I often see them mounted at the end (including on my two pipe steam system). The idea is they'll get damaged more easily by water if they're mounted at the end...

If your system originally had vents, but they've been plugged up, just remove the plugs and install the new vents. No need to re-tap or re-arrange...
  • Jason_26
    Options

ok now how do i measure the main
    one pipe comes from the furnace and goes left and right near the wall to the right no holes for any vents and to the left there is 2 holes plugged right now
    so to measure it i measure from that t left then right or the lenghth of the whole thing? and just so i know why would those not work?
  • Jason_26
    Options

one more thing i dont know if i am going to get those plugs out that section of the pipe is very rusty i think there used to be a leak near it the pipe doesnt leak now but i dont think the plugs are going to come out plus they are right at the end of the line 1 points straight up and the other points to the top side. do i need to put 2 in there or just one?
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Find a Pro.

I think it might be time to find a professional. Look at the top of the web page for find a pro. Type in your zip code and a radius and go from there.

Good Luck

Larry C
  • Jason_26
    Options

well i have someone coming today or tommorow i just wanted to save some cash and do it myself. i guess i will have him look at it and see what he says.
  • Jason_26
    Options

furnace needs to be adjusted it is running rich
This discussion has been closed.