Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Birdsboro/Reading, PA - Need help

Comments

• Patrick Mullaney
    Patrick Mullaney Member Posts: 67
    Birdsboro/Reading, PA - NEED HELP

I need a professional in this area to help with my gas fired steam boiler and the "Find a Professional" link does not list anyone.

I own a 110 year-old brick building - 3 stories, which was converted into 3 apartments a very long time ago (early 70s) by the previous owner. The building is heated by a one-pipe steam system running a Weil McClain boiler - do not know model number off the top of my head, but the boiler probably dates to the early 80s from what I can tell.

Last winter was my first as the owner of the building. I had extremely high gas bills and extremely uneven heat throughout the building. Certain areas were hot, some were just right and some were downright cold. I had all the vents on the radiators replaced with adjustable vents and it seemed to help, but still having issues.

Looking for an expert who can take a look at my system and tell me what is going on and recommend solutions and do the work.

HELP!!
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Did you

remember to put the dot in the 100 mile option?

I find it hard to believe no one is within 100 miles of Reading...

I'm sure someone who should have a listing in that area, missed the boat! Maybe this will be their "wake-up" call to get listed?

Look who's talking. I have yet to get listed for northern VT and there is no one up here within 100 miles either.

Mia culpa.
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Yes, I Searched the Greatest Radius

Ken-

Thanks for the response. I searched within a 100 miles, indeed. Found one guy 60 miles out and it was just too far for him to make the trip - kind of don't blame him. There needs to be more listings on the site.....I may have to do something I actually dread, look in the yellow pages (I don't actually have a phone book).

My gut tells me in this area, with the housing boom in full swing, and based on my experiences, that the really good contractors are overloaded with work right now. I can appreciate that situation.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    This may help...

I wrote this a few years ago. I still believe it to be "on point."

"How to Find a Good Contractor"

http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbviews/2004/good_contractors.asp

Let us know how it pans out.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Thought you were...

"hanging up the tools"... :-)

Kinda hard, ain't it???

Floyd
  • Patrick Mullaney

Bump (hope this forum is ok with this move)
  • Al_19
    Al_19 Member Posts: 170

Try:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=289&Step=30

I don't know how to make that a link, but you can cut/paste it.
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Thanks Al

They are too far (or I am too far from them) - but are still trying to help me find someone....
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Patrick, I'm in Baltimore

if you can't get anyone closer, get in touch. I would have to charge for travel time, and it might be several weeks before I could come, but it would be worth it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al_19

Patrick,

I stopped doing heating work about 10 years ago(just do residential water treatment now). I lurk here for inspiration. You should search some of Steamheads posts and job pictures. He's worth the wait and the travel time. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

In the meantime, order "The Lost Art of Steam Heating", and "We Got Steam Heat".

Al
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Steamhead - thanks

Steamhead-

I'll keep you posted and let you know if I find anyone, but I have been searching a long time for an expert. I could call UGI - the local gas company - and pay someone to come "service" my boiler, but I did that last year and feel it was $$ not well spent. I have all the original documentation for the boiler and components, assuming everything is still original, which it looks like it is. Origianl Packing slip has a manifest date of 10/18/89 (not as old as I thought). The piping, it looks much older, but I am not an expert and cannot tell for certain.

Weil-McLain - EGH-PI 85
    Honeywell Pressuretrol - PA404
    Safegard Model VXT-24 Feeder

If it comes to it, I will not mind paying for your travel time since you are in Baltimore. I just appreciate the help. In the interim, if there is more information you wish to have, let me know.

THANKS!
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Al - Get back int he game

Al-

Not sure where you are located, but steam guys are far and few between....get back in the game.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Gas companies

are generally interested solely in selling gas- period. I think your impression is correct.

Check your e-mail.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al_19

Intersting idea. But I'm up in Putnam County, NY---nowhere near you. Besides, I gave away my pipe threader and 3' and 4' pipe wrenches years ago.

Al
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Some Updated Info

I have pictures and a diagram to post shortly, in the meantime, there are 3 Hoffman Speciality No. 75 vent's on the Main Line in the basement. Last winter, all vents on raditors were replaced with VariValve Heat Timer Quick Vents. The CP# on the boiler is: 736189.
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Schematic & Pictures

Mains are 2.5" as best I can tell. Schematics and pictures are attached.
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Bump

bump
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Are those pipe lengths

in inches or in feet?

Also, you know by now that the copper steam piping is wrong. Is there any evidence of leakage at the joints?

• Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    more pics?

Could you post more pics? How much copper is there?

Cosmo
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Answer for Steamhead

All measurements are in inches. I noticed today that I left a few of the measurements off the main lines that I will add and re-post the schematic tonight. As I am reading and reading and learning, I realize how important those lengths are to the diagnosis.

With respect to the Copper - I am admittedly ignorant and did not realize the copper piping is incorrect. For me, what is really important, especially as the temps continue to drop, is making this system function at optimal performance so my tenants are comfortable and have heat throughout the building. As a landlord, my tenants are very important to me as is their comfort level and happiness.

So, what is wrong with the copper??
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Answer for Cosmo

Cosmo-

I can post some more photos tonight. But, basically all the copper you see in the current photos is all there is on the system as best I can remember.
  • Garret
    Garret Member Posts: 111

Copper is considered bad for steam piping because of expansion/contraction... eventually the joints will open up and it'll leak. Threaded steel (aka black iron) is the stuff of choice.

Have you considered installing thermostatic vents on all the radiators? You said you installed adjustable vents...the ones I'm talking about allow you to set a temperature for the room, rather than a venting speed.

In a rental property, I'm sure they'd save you on your gas bills... tenants are notorious for using the window to compensate for radiators that are putting out too much heat.

• Patrick Mullaney
    More Pics

These two might depict the extent of the copper pipes. Let me know if there are more questions.
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Slightly Revised Schematic

I noticed that there were a couple measurements missing from the earlier schematic originally posted. An updated version is now attached.

Looks like there is approximately 102' (1,224") of main pipe in 2 sections. The mains are broken into a smaller section of 43' with 1-Hoffman 75 on it and it takes care of almost the entire 1st floor. The larger section of 59' has 2-Hoffman 75s on it and it takes care of partial first floor and all of 2nd and 3rd floors.

I have many suspicions as to issues here, but prefer to have an expert conduct a thorough diagnostic, provide recommendations for repairs, and then execute such repairs.

If there are additional questions I can possibly answer, please ask away.

Thanks.
  • Patrick Mullaney
    TTT

Bump
  • Garret
    Garret Member Posts: 111

Since you're not getting much of a response, I'll jump back in... the steam pros are swamped this time of the year, so you'll just have to make do with this steam-obsessed homeowner. :)

Here is an example of the thermostatic vents you can install on every radiator.

http://www.maconcontrols.com/opsk1204.html

I think they run about $100 each, and you can install them yourself... they just replace the varivalve vents you installed last season.

These will allow each tenant to set max temperature for their rooms, and the radiators will shut off at that point. That lets the boiler keep firing to heat the cold rooms, without overheating rooms that are already warm enough.

If you don't have luck finding a good local steam guy, maybe you can make some easy adjustments right now to help balance the system for the upcoming season...

There are a lot of things can do by yourself or with a handyman that might help... clean the boiler, improve venting, insulate the steam piping, adjust the pressuretrol, etc. Do you know what your pressuretrol is set to? Maybe the pressure is set too high.. that can cause major balance problems.

If you're going to own this building for a while, I'd highly recommend buying some of Dan's books... We got Steam Heat and the Lost Art would be a good start.

-Garret
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Patrick

I apologize for not posting, getting hectic.

If you are willing to wait, I could take a look at the job.

By all means if Frank "Steamhead" is willing to come up I would defer to him.

Where exactly is Birdsboro?

Shoot me an email and we can discuss further

Cosmo

• Patrick Mullaney
    Birdsboro is about 10 miles south of Reading, PA on Route 422. If you want to map it, the zip code is 19508.
  • tonypete
    tonypete Member Posts: 24
    Patrick -

You should have told Cosmo Birdsboro was just down the road from Monacacy Station. THAT whould have made it clear to him :)
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Where dat?

I had to look that one up!! One of those locations that if you blink, you are through it....
  • Patrick Mullaney
    bump

• Patrick Mullaney
    Help Has Arrived

Looks like I found my man - thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.