Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flood repairs

nick z.
nick z. Member Posts: 157
Guys,not really sure how to handle this.Our quite little community has gotten hit quite hard by the worst flooding since 1955.Dozens of homes have been filled to the first floor,some have had as much as 6'in the first floor.I actually had to choke back tears watching the town of Rieglesville being e-vaced.
Anyhow seems the onslaught of work ahs brought out the voltures.Homeowners and contractors alike are looking to get more than is needed.(in my opion)Many people are insisting on new parts and equip. they don't need. But you know what if you don't do it the next guy will. Seems there are many new guys suddenly in the area.Nothing with going to were the work is, but to feed on a disaster,I won't do it.
This is the first natural dis. I've dealt with maybe some of you guys could help me with how you havbe handled such a thing.

Comments

• Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Nick

I am so sorry to hear of your experiences. I am only a homeowner, but my understanding (Limited) is that any control device that has been under water needs to be replaced. This may extend to the entire appliance. Best of luck to you and your community over what will most likely be a long road ahead.

Larry
  • Mark_7
    Mark_7 Member Posts: 123
    flood

Nick I can see were your coming from, we got the Inn in Raubsville up and running and we'er sitting around and here comes a clean up company from out of area,the owner sent them on there way.As for boiler controls- drain motor- replace sealed cad relays-open up cir. relays to dry and should be ok.Food for thought slow fire wet chamber.The area sure got hit hard I hope the upcoming storm isn't that bad.
  • nick z.

Yea,I think any controls, motors,etc. nned cleaning or replacing. Stem bros. have been doing most of the heater repairs.You mentioned the Raubsville,do you know Jim Zangli?
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Nat gas or lp

If a control has been underwater the insurance co must pay for a new one, If no insurance ask YOUR insurance company how they feel about you drying one out, I'll bet they gasp, too much liability. We had a furnace underwater a few years ago, we washed and cleaned and then tried to start it up, components would fail one at a time, in the end only the heat exchanger was salavaged and we ate alot of labor. If you do this do it time and material and really think about how much labor hours and retail cost parts a 10 year old furnace is worth. Boilers are worth more but at least go with new gas valves, inducers and circuit boards.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Nick

I'd like to hear more about this story. Can you e-mail links to any published/broadcast stories? Thanks:

johnhall@achrnews.com
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    This is an opportunity for you

If you are fair in your pricing and do what you know to be right, you should be able to acquire some new long term customers. I believe that knowing what the insurance companies require is an excellent suggestion.

Giving solid answers and fair pricing will allow you to look in your mirror without looking away. Also there are bound to be some old folks who are really up against it due to limited income and devastating damage. I would see if you can get some contractors together to help them as best you can and you will be rewarded from sources that you do not know at this time.

It is circumstances like these that allow us to show our character and our conviction to do the right thing. Referrals from those who know you should be of great value at this time.

Our company Rhomar Water will offer any flood victims special pricing on our boiler/system cleaners. We would like to do our part to help.

The best to you and your community.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Important!

The recent weather has raised havoc with many areas, and a lot of people have been devastated by flooding. For your safety, DO NOT ATTEMPT to relight ANY gas or oil ignition control that had been exposed to floodwaters! This includes gas ignition modules and associated controls, oil burner primaries and other components, gas valves, aquastats, water heater controls and other heating & cooling system components and electrical controls. They MUST be replaced. BEWARE of anyone telling you otherwise. You are putting yourself at risk of serious injury or worse, and possible fire or explosion if you attempt to relight any such control. This applies to controls manufactured by anyone.

Replace it,don't add to the devastation!
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    I agree with

George-Nick you and the local tradesmans of your community working together with civic and church leaders for the good of your town will pay dividends that will far out weigh a quick buck. Best wishes ? where is this place. J.Lockard
  • nick z.
    Thanks

For all your responses and cares. Local fuel dealer that most people use has a very good service dept. and has most with hot water again.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    do what you gotta

I know how you feel when floyd hit the north jersey and new york state area it was nuts .I replaced so much stuff in a 2 or 3 day period you couldn't even keep track you just knew it was time to hit the dumpster cause stuff was ozzing from the doors .I felt bad for those with no coin but what you didn't replace now you where back later replacing so it's kinda past well it's working now and 3 hours later it's dead .There is a light at the end of the tunnel it only takes a few weeks for us but you really got your work cut out for i can only wish you luck and work saftly and remenber to rest when you wake the work will still be therepeace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.