Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO

tom_11
tom_11 Member Posts: 58
I have a weil McLain 368st oil fired steam boiler, with a McDonnell@Miller #77 float type, is it normal that the inside wallgets scale on the wall? The float will sometimes sticks when i do the blowdown,if i hit the side it work. I flush the control every week in the winter. Thanks Tom

Comments

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Might be a good idea...

to carefully and completely remove that LWCO and clean the inside cavity with a wire brush, sharp scraper, or something that can really get the "boogers" 'n mud out!

Are you sure it's a "77"? Or was that a typo?

Be careful of the gasket. If it tears, the cover of a phone book makes a decent replacement gasket material. Be careful with the actual blow down valve. It needs a stiff bristle brush. Make sure you pull the float and switch mecahnism out carefully. Gasket there too - but it rarely breaks.

Do it before the cold weather comes.
  • tom_11
    tom_11 Member Posts: 58
    LWCO

Thanks for the info,the lwco is #67 not #77 Thanks tom
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    blow down of LWCO

It will help to keep the unit clean if you blow down the boiler while it is steaming. This will allow steam pressure flush the unit and you can make sure it's working at the same time. Make sure you have a good drop pipe on the valve to prevent burns...that water pushed by steam is VERY hot. Also, the manufacturer recommends that every LWCO be dismantled on a regular basis for proper cleaning. The build up of mud and scale in that unit is normal and must be controlled.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • LWCO

I had exactly the same problem on "multiples" I look after. (3-#67`s).
    There is 1 on each, I removed them for cleaning and I also replaced the float and bellows ****`y on each. May be "overkill", but I`d rather be safe than sorry!
    PS- Be sure to also check the nipples to it.
This discussion has been closed.