Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oiltank in garage

Options
Cosmo_3
Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
Maybe worth a call to the inspector. I do that a lot and it has saved me big bucks. Sorry buddy I didn't want to imply that you were not going to get a permit, just that it is up to Mr. Inspector so maybe ask him.

JCA, that setup looks neat!

Cosmo

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    what are the nfpa31 regs...

on placing a 275 gallon oil tank in a residential garage....I have a copy of nfpa 31 but can't find any references as to any special set ups...some towns want cement lally collums in front of tanks but again I cannot find any references to it....ty, kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options

Last time I was involved with a residential garage oil tank install the municipality wanted two 4" schedule 40 steel pipes installed as pilings in front of the tank. 3 feet under ground, 4 feet above, filled with concrete. Thankfully the customer ended up taking care of the pilings himself.

I also looked at the NFPA31 book, and don't really see much mention of a residential garage installation specifically. Is there a permit? Ask the inspector what he recommends. Personally I would feel okay with the pilings, as long as there is no where else the tank could go.

Cosmo
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    there will ...

be a permit....now I am pricing out the job....kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    NFPA 31...

Says the tank MUST BE PROTECTED. That's about it !. This is where it gets a bit hairy. Like Cosmo said, some inspectors want cement filled lally columns 3' into the concrete, while othes feel that lagging them to the floor is fine.

I did this job in a town close by. The inspector loved it, and Firedragon uses the photo in his classes. All criteria have been met. The tank is in a 3 bay "truck garage", where they do PM for a landscpe and land contracting company. Since these photos were taken, I've also added the same 2" black iron w/ flanges set-uo to their diesel fuel tanks which are just infront of this 275. Chris
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

Nice job. And I'm sure it's easier than trying to drop in lollies.
This discussion has been closed.