Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Primary Secondary Control

At tstats go to the control wire the primary loop pump to ZR and if you use the ZC504EXP you can add outdoor reset.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-9.0.pdf

Comments

• amhplumb
    amhplumb Member Posts: 2
    Control For Primary / Secondary Pumping?

Fellow Wallies I am in the process of re-piping a large house that was once a gravity conversion system. To make a long story short, except for the first floor, the rads are removed and going to be replaced with copper fin. As well as the majority of the large piping, with smaller!
    I want to make three or four zones (one zone with the rads,)and use primary/secondary pumping with each zone's circulator to control the zone rather than a zone valve. I have the piping technique down pat, I'm not sure about the controls. Is there a control out there that I could use in conjunction with the circulators where I have 24 volts to a T-Stat in each zoned space, that controls the zone's circulator with 120 volts, and 24-volts to the boiler's aquastat? Working in the same scheme as a zone valve, when t-stat calls for heat, zone valve opens, boiler aquastat is turned on too if needed, meaning if boiler temp is not satisfied or another zone isn't calling for heat.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Relay

The boiler should have its own 24v power source. Any Argo or Taco relay should work. It's sad the radiators are leaving, because they would have made the system more effective with outdoor reset and used less fuel, particularly in the future if a modulating condensing boiler was installed.

-Andrew
  • amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
    Thanks Bruce & Andrew

Thanks Bruce and Andrew, I downloaded PDF's from both the Taco & Argo sites that you guys posted. I'll study them both. I agree with you Andrew about the old rads, I hate to remove them. It just doesn't seem right! The owner agrees as she is trying to restore rather than remodel. However, the house was vacant for a few years and wasn't winterized. A lot were cracked due to freezing, and in no particular order either ( some 1st floor, some second & third!) But, there is enough left to move around and make one zone, the first floor.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Rads

That is unfortunate that the radiators were frozen. Steel panel radiators might fit in a similar space that the cast iron radiators were in. VEHA has some I like. The Stelrad Classic Column is really nice, but not inexpensive imo. Plus with the radiators, it is very easy to use TRV's for zoning. If you haven't noticed yet, I am a fan of radiators.

-Andrew
  • amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
    I'm a Rad Fan Too!

Unfortunately the die is cast on this Job! No pun intended with the "cast!" Price dictating! However, I'll keep those websites in mind for future jobs. In the past I've gotten recycled rads when I needed them. In my own home in my "spare" time, I've been finishing the attic. We have Rads in all of the other rooms that I have installed TRV's on. Rather than CI baseboard for the attic, I'm going to try to get a Rad whether a recycled one or maybe one from one of the sites that you posted. Thanks for the info.
This discussion has been closed.