Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pro-Press

singh
singh Member Posts: 866
I love mine,been using it for a month now.
I have the REMS cordless.
I also do plumbing, makes some small service jobs go much quicker.
A little diapointed about the 12V batteries, they don't seem to do many crimps,constantly swaping fresh batteries in. Buy extra.
I also bought a 2" head,but really have not have the oppurtunity to use yet.I hope to save some time on tank fill and vent installs.But I am worried about battery life with that size, one crimp per fresh battery?

Comments

• Ray_13
    Ray_13 Member Posts: 15
    Pro-Press

Just wanted to hear what you guys think about the pro-press system. Has anyone been using much of it? I would like to give it a shot, but at $1300 for the tool, I'd like to be a little more sure.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    great

Once you have it you will love it. I have the corded Rigid version and it is a little heavy. You may wish to look at the Rems version as its a little lighter. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Rust on the tank !

I am concerned that we may forget how to solder ... no really.

Heres a couple of jobs.

Like Nike says .... Just Do It.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • singh

> I am concerned that we may forget how to solder

> ... no really.

>

> Heres a couple of jobs.

>

> Like

> Nike says .... Just Do It.

>

> Scott

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 237&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321

> I love mine,been using it for a month now. I

> have the REMS cordless. I also do plumbing,

> makes some small service jobs go much quicker. A

> little diapointed about the 12V batteries, they

> don't seem to do many crimps,constantly swaping

> fresh batteries in. Buy extra. I also bought a

> 2" head,but really have not have the oppurtunity

> to use yet.I hope to save some time on tank fill

> and vent installs.But I am worried about battery

> life with that size, one crimp per fresh battery?

• EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Pro Press

Singh, are you talking about piping an oil tank with copper? EJW
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    I bought the

small REMS corded version. Basic tool around $850. I bought the optional 3/8 threaded rod cutter and I REALLY like that jaw. A quick clean burr free cut!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • SVDW
    SVDW Member Posts: 80
    pro-press

Our contractors love it. Time savings, dependable & no open flames or soldering fumes. Looks very professional as well, no scorched walls or flux/solder drips. Many of our guys think it's the future of commercial copper piping.
  • Todd_9
    Todd_9 Member Posts: 88
    Oil tanks

I'm with EJ. Copper is not acceptable for fill and vents. I just came across the I&O manual for Granby tanks and they state almost the same thing as the current NFPA.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Residential too

We are using it on everything. Love it. Neat, clean, easy. fast, what more could you want except cheaper fittings. As far as I know we are the only contractor in our backward area that's using it but even the customers are remarking how nice it looks. It definitelly makes an impression.
  • singh

EJW and Todd.

I have been using black iron pipe, before I purchased the 2" press head I did ask and found out code says "metal pipe" for fill and vent.Copper is metal. Many contractors,including fuel co.'s here in upstate NY use copper. I always disagreed and was taught otherwise, but it seems ok and inspectors not saying otherwise.
    I'll see if I can get the exact wording for NYS residential building codes.
    I love NY. :)
  • Todd_9
    Todd_9 Member Posts: 88
    Oil tank Piping

First, let me say that I think the propress is a great system. The main thing is always follow the manufacturers instructions. Granby has a great manual on their website, in section 6.3 it states"Fill or vent shall be of wrought-iron, sched 40 steel or sched 40 brass pipe" I believe that NFPA says the exact same thing but I don't have a copy in front of me. We see alot of tanks piped in copper but it doesn't make it right. I think there is confusion due to the fact that the fuel supply line(tank to burner) can be copper.
This discussion has been closed.