Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cellphone service

Joe Grosso
Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
Alittle off the normal subjects here on the wall.I would like to now what cell service anyone here uses in sullivan county ny.My dad has a summer home there and I need cell service that works there because my dad has had some heart problems in the last six months and I want to make he has na phone that will work in case a car breakdown.

Comments

• Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    I have had luck with verizon

I have had luck with verizon in that area, although I am in westchester. It might still be tough since there might not be alot of cell phone towers. I would look into verizon or possibly nextel. verizon gives you first week free of penalty if you decide to cancel.
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866

I use Verizon wireless.
    works the best in our area,columbia,ulster counties. However you may find some dead spots.
  • Sullivan County Cell Service

I travel through Sullivan County quite often on Route 17 and also find Verizon's service to be very weak or non-existent unless I'm up on top of a mountain which on that road is for a very short period of time. West of Monticello is pretty good and Middletown and east is good. In between...not so good! I used to have Cingular Wireless and found their signal to be more consistent across most of that stretch of road. Unfortunately Cingular was weak in the areas where I travel the most....the New England states.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

www.burnham.com
  • Joe Grosso

Thank you all for your response to this question.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Stay awat from Cingular...they stink ......................

and I can't wait to get rid of them. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Joe

For the last several years I have taken my son camping up in Sullivan and the service up there is spotty at best. It depends where youre standing as to how your cell works. I dont think theres anyplace in Sullivan you'll get a cell twice in a row. Not the greatest reception, even at the top of the mountains.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Joe, my buddy has a 9.95 el cheapo anttena hooked to the

car lighter and glued to the wind screen...it works like a charm ,places no one could get a squeak out of a phone, it is clear as a bell.i see him today. maybe i get some accurate information for you.check back later this evening....
  • Joe Grosso

Thanks Weezbo for the info
  • Todd_9
    Todd_9 Member Posts: 88
    cell signal

Sullivan is a bad area for any service, forget it if you have Nextel. The best signal up this way seems to be Cellular One, but they have very poor customer service.
    What town in Sullivan is he in?
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    COS

Pronounced the same as cuss. Acronym for Cellular One Sucks.

I kept track for a couple weeks til I got dispondent about it. Out of 67 calls I had 18 that dropped, 11 that I could hear the caller but they couldn't hear me, 7 that showed connected but there was nothing there, 10 that had so much static that I couldn't make out what was said by the person that called.

This is with Motorola's latest and greatest flip phone, the one that was supposed to be at least the equal of Nokia. It's also running on the new GSM network or wavelength......what ever the heck it is, it doesn't help.

Let's just say that My contract will not be renewed with Cell None.........Oops, I mean One
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Cell Phones

Some day satellite phones will be affordable and all these cell companies can pound sand. As long as tree huggers protest towers being put up and towns vote on them when we are all at work, get used to it. EJW
This discussion has been closed.