Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler

one very good option would be to do two boilers and stage them so as to jack up the AFUE....plus if 1 broke you would have a backup... kpc
PS...lots of good choices Burnham, Smith and Peerless

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=323&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Jon Gerstad
    Jon Gerstad Member Posts: 11
    Who Makes The Boiler I'm Looking For?

Hi, I'd like to replace my old boiler (Portmar,548 MBH, from the'50's/ Carlin 301 CRD/ 3.5gph 60 degree nozzle) with a more energy efficient model. I havent run the calcs yet, but I assume I'll be looking at something in the 300 MBH range. Only thing is, everything I've seen has a AFUE rating below 84%.
    I manage a 5 story tenement building (25 X 55) with lots of old tenants and cheap rents. I don't mind paying more for the new boiler if it'll cut down on long-term heating costs. Any suggestions?
  • Jon Gerstad
    I forgot to say- #2 Oil - Steam Heat

I forgot to say- #2 Oil - Steam Heat
    -Jon
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    Smith

A Smith 19A-3 MIGHT fit the bill at 297,000 btus, but without an actual heat loss to work with, I would SUGGEST a 19A-4. The old boiler was considerably larger than 300,000.

The existing Carlin 301 may be re-usable in the new boiler with some minor updates. Talk with your heating professional about this.

If you have any further questions, please feel ree to e-mail me directly at GWoollard@Mestek.com.

Thank You,

Guy Woollard
    Smith Boiler/ Mestek
  • Ron Schroeder_3
    Ron Schroeder_3 Member Posts: 254
    Self serving response

The Vitola 200 VB2-63 is rated at 87.1% AFUE. It develops 258MBTU. As a low temperature boiler it behaves as a much larger boiler. I'll bet a good mechanic like you can squeeze it a little more.

Thinking completely out of the box, consider a Weishaupt modulating burner for this set-up. The Vitotronic 300 controll supports modulating burners as well as LON communication if that is useful in your case.
  • Ron Schroeder_3
    sorry, I had not yet gotten to your qualifier

Sorry, this is not a steam boiler. I just got ahead of myself.
  • Jon Gerstad
    Fred

What do you think of the Vitoplex 100. I don't know about these EuroSpecs, kW? How does that translate into BTU/Hrs?
    Any other ideas?
  • Ron Schroeder_3
    metric conversion for Jon

25 Btu = 0.0073268 kilowatt hour
    Don't know anything about the Vitoplex yet except that it is not in the
    pipeline.
  • Jon Gerstad
    Thanks Fred

This discussion has been closed.