Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Public Speaking

Irontom
Irontom Member Posts: 18
Yes! Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=316&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Irontom
    Dear Abby

I mean, Dear Dan,

Today I sat through ANOTHER presentation by a well-meaning speaker who was using PowerPoint as a teleprompter and boring his audience. Of course, what's sad is that he doesn't realize that he's NOT communicating.

So, I took his business card and thought that I would, as I often want do in these situations, suggest to him that he buy your video "How to Teach Technicians."

But, and here's my question, is it up to me to STOP POWERPOINT ABUSE? Would it be better for me if I mind my own business since he may not believe me anyway?

Also, I remember an article your wrote on this but I can't find it. Could you lead me to it?

with warm regards, Arlene

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Hi Arlene

How ya been? As Dan has taught me......put it in a nice way, and most people will thank you for suggestions. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620

Arlene, Hope you don't mind me jumping in but I keep this info handy as it proves to be helpful to myself time and time again :)

I think this might be the article you're looking for?

I know you can't see this, but...

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Nice to hear from you, Arlene!

How have you been?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Not the method

My guess is that that speaker would have been just as bad with flipcharts, overheads or stone tablets. IMHO the key to any form of public speaking is learning how and practicing. For me Toastmasters International is the best and cheapest way to learn. Only $27 every 6 months and that includes a great monthly magazine. You are (at least in my club) encouraged to practice your work speeches or technical presentations and get constructive advice before you take it on the road.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Totally agree with

you Dale. If a speaker doesn't know the subject or how to present it it's a waste, no matter what!

Overheads, Powerpoints, slides, videos, movies and everything that has ever come down the road are used to convey a message simply put, 'a picture is worth a thousand words'.

I hate text slides (in any format), always have, always will, on that I will agree.

Powerpoint allows me to take technicians into basements. Even deeper into boilers and piping and even into the components of a burner. BUT, if I don't know what to say when that picture is on the screen I shouldn't be doing the presentation to begin with.

An empty window is an empty window. Put the right material in it and it becomes a showcase.

I agree with Dale, let's not knock the format, knock the presenter.
  • Irontom
    Thank you

I'm well. I know I haven't been around for a while but I'm plugging away.

I hope I don't embarrass you on your own web-site but I'm always thinking of you and you seem to always be with me. I'm always thinking about your philosophy and your good business sense. I'm glad you're in my life.

A.

• Irontom
    Except that

I'm not experiencing people who don't know the subject, I'm mostly experiencing people who abuse powerpoint. Who have never considered that they're using it incorrectly.

Arlene

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620

You're very welcome my friend.

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Okay, I'll

buy that, but it's still not the program's fault, right?

Even Dan now uses PPt and his program (as of 10/04) is just about all pictures with the exception of some charts and tables he MUST use.

I first started with an old program called Bravo, then moved to PPt. I for one don't want to go back. Especially when you can take all of the videos that have been produced, snip out just what you want and embed them in PPt, ya can't beat it.

If ya want to rip something apart, that's my target, videos. Some of them are deplorable remakes that are even worse than the original or the slides they once were. But, they all have some good elements, nobody is wrong 100% of the time. Take out the good, plug it into PPt and you're gone!

I even have slides and old filmstrip material that has been dropped into PPt, it not only makes it effective, it can bring a few smiles and lots of memories for some.

Have a nice weekend.
  • Irontom
    Yep

You're right. It's not the program's fault. And it's a shame because it CAN be used properly.

Best wishes, Arlene
    www.octoberhome.com

This discussion has been closed.