Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Storage tanks for Solar

Options
Where do you get something like that? Mass-produced water heaters only go up to 120 gallons, and the 80 gallon units are a better value at over $4.00 per gallon vs. $6

Pressure rated tanks are definitely preferable, because you can keep the system closed.

Any ideas?
Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    How much

do you want to spend? How nice of a tank?

Lochinvar, for one, has nice insulated steel, glass lined, storage tanks, up to 500 gallon I believe.

I bought a used 500 gallon LP tank for $350 recently. Siggy often uses (lp tanks) in his designs for solar and wood boiler storage as they are ASME pressure rated. I suspect he specs new ones :)

Of course you would need to add an insulation package to that.

I've also looked at the HDPE tanks that you see at farm stores and as septic tanks. Non pressurized and limited to 150° temperatures. However they are very inexpensive for the capacity. Some have large man holes to allow easy HX coil installation.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Options
    LP tanks are a good idea

I can just hear my building dept. asking if they are rated for water usage.
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    The label

that is welded on mine, which also have a UL stamp, state 250 psi max water pressure and 650°F max temperature.

The ASME stamp is a U not an H like on boilers. Guess it would be best to check with the local AHJ and the tank manufacture for a copy of the listings.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.