Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slant/Fin

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,103
I'm not bashing any body including slant fin but on there oil boiler the one 's i,ve serviced where pin type 1 pass design with the price of oil increasing you should look at boilers that are easier to clean and yeild higher afue.Like 3 pass oil fired units like a buderus ,which have no combustion chamber to be replace work well with low temp returns and are a breeze to clean with hortizontal flue passes and baffles to adjust flue temps plus highly engenered casting and a much better insulation package then most american boilers but on another note wiel mclean and i believe burnham have both came out with new oil boiler lines to compete with the euro boilers of this design .The monjmey you spend on a 3 pass who ever the maker will show up on lower fuel use and ease of service remenber 1/64 of a inch of soot lowers your boilers eff. and thats heat you ain't using because it's going up your chimmey .good luck and peace clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• JOHN_89
    JOHN_89 Member Posts: 1
    SLANT FINN OIL/ CAST BOILERS

THINKING OF USING SLANT FINN CAST BOILER FOR NEW HYDRO AIR ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS MANUFACTURER?

JOHN
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    no problems

I never had or know of any problems.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Are you...

... going to go buy one at Home Depot and install it yourself? :-)

Anyway, like clammy, I like more efficient and easier-to-clean 3-pass boilers better... If you want to shop American brands, Burham recently brought out the MPO that should fit that bill nicely. Otherwise, also consider the many choices at Buderus and Viessmann. By now, perhaps the WM Gold oil boiler may have also hit production.

However, as with most equipment, the most important thing to determine the longevity of a heating system is the quality of the installation and follow-on maintenance.
  • Ragu
    Ragu Member Posts: 138
    Worked On Three Of Them

All three were put in by licensed guys, but bought from Home Depot. For the life of me, I couldn't get the stack temps down below 600 on any of them. That dropped the combustion efficiencies to the high 70's. It almost seems like they should have tubulators/baffles in their flueways.
  • JeffD
    JeffD Member Posts: 41

I put a Slant Fin boiler in my home last year. This replaced a scorched air system. So far I'm very happy with it. I got 12%CO2, net stack of 450º, at zero smoke with
    -.02WC. Been running since Feb, and no signs of soot yet. My oil consumption dropped from 750 gallons to 550 gallons even though last winter was colder than the previous one. Of course a big energy saving factor was getting rid of all that leaky duct, and putting in zones for the upstairs and downstairs. No sense keeping areas of the house that aren't being used at 68º if you don't need to.
  • Bob Flanagan_3
    Bob Flanagan_3 Member Posts: 67
    Intrepid Oil Fired Boilers

Just a brief post on this thread.

First and foremost Slant/Fin does not and has never sold to Home Depot.

Secondly, our Intrepid Oil Fired Boiler is only available through wholesale distribution. While it is a tradional pin type boiler its casting design is dramatically different than most. Its' efficiencies when set up according to our instructions will reach the low 86% range. We would welcome you all to attend one of our regional expos or visit us in Long Island.

Thanks to all and I hope all is well.

Bob Flanagan
    National Sales Manager
    Slant/Fin Corp.
    Bob Flanagan

Vice President

Slant/Fin Corp.
  • clammy
    Not bashing

I'm not bashing slant fin at all just not fond of the oil fired stuff i have been installing your direct vent gas boiler recently for a plumber and found no promblem with the unit .peace clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    Then how do you explain...

my seeing them for sale at Home Depot??? Now that doesn't have any bearing on quality, Home Depot sells things that are both high and low quality, usually the problem there is the stuff is smashed.

Slant Fin does make a good boiler, their castings I believe have gotten better, but, it's 2005 and oil is going up, UP UP!! so I would only consider Buderus, System 2000 or Viessman, in fact I believe that only super high eff equipment should be sold in this country, just my opinion but these systems will cut your bill in half +-, and it's 2005.
  • Bob Flanagan_3
    Bob Flanagan_3 Member Posts: 67
    Hello Gene

Hi Gene:

The equipment you see at Home Depot is sold to them by the same wholesale distributors that you buy from everyday. Slant/Fin has never sold a piece of equipment or baseboard to them or to any DIY company.

I don't ordinarily like to spend much time on this subject but every now and then it helps to let all know what our position is with respect to this situation.

On another note, we too believe that with the escalating costs of fuel, high efficiency boilers are becoming more and more important. The Slant/Fin Intrepid comes in at 86% AFUE which is real close to our European competitors with section designs that allow easy cleaning. We continue to look into ways to make our equipment even better.

Gene, thanks for your response. Communication is the key to what makes our industry special. If I can ever be of assistance, drop me a note and I will do whatever I can to help.

Stay Well,
    Bob Flanagan
    Bob Flanagan

Vice President

Slant/Fin Corp.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    There are plenty of CI pinned boilers

out there with 86% AFUE ratings. Problem is after a year of soot build up, does anyone realy clean them properly?
    Everyone has a swing out burner door, but a proper cleaning involves pulling off flue pipe and the top cover to get to all the pinned passageways. How many service guys take all that time?

I also still believe that a vertical flue boiler has higher stand by losses, which are not reflected in AFUE ratings.

A scotch marine design with horizontal tubes just makes for an easier cleaning which gives better real world running efficencies.

• I like Slant Fin

I have a Slant Fin xl 2000 (xl-30) in my own house, I have installed Slant Fin gas and limited amount of oil fired boilers for the past 14 years, over the years any situation that came up, Slant Fin tech service was quickly responsive and worked hard to correct and stood behind their product, no blaming everyone else just making a solid effort to resolve the given problem. I have personally work with Mr. Flanagan and can tell you he is stand up guy and supports his companies products.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Proper Cleaning and Installations

I am an oil burner tech and do a lot of annual service. Some installations are so user unfriendly that lazy techs won't clean them properly no matter what brand/design they are. These are the same guys that argue how good they are and how fussy we who come to these sights are.

JMHO,

Leo
  • clammy
    joe brix

I can't agree with you more i've done oil service 24 hour service and alot of guys never take the time to do the cleaning right they would do a filter noz strainer and the soot stick boogie .I always pulled flue pipe check chimmey base brush down the sections while vacuming the chamber and also remove the burner and vacume the chamber if flame inpingent is occuring .The promblem being alot of guys who do the soot stick boogie also install and when they do they usually make it that you can't clean them because they weren't planning to in the future,they pipe everything across the top so you can't get the top off and put there piping manaors where you can't get a brush through those pin section i've had them where i had to remove the burner door and brush them up because you couldn't get the top flue collector off.That in my mind alone makes all three pass front swing door boilers the only opition plus no more chambers to replcae which is money out of the oil co pocket .But every person and company is different and they follow there ideas of what's right and what's wrong and most are in the just get it done mode .Remenber the sweeten of a cheaper price is soon forgotten after the bitterness of poor quality and a dan h word of wisdon i believe is if you ain't got the time to do it right the first time you will never have the time or money to do it right the second time peace clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
This discussion has been closed.