Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thoughts on permits and codes

Jay_17
Jay_17 Member Posts: 72
We, as I think many states, have no regular safety inspection. Noone but myself will ever check my work, and I think even if it were inspected it would pass.
My car has to pass emissions, but that doesn't mean I cant replace the entire fuel system and reprogram the engine controlls to suit my modified engine.
I have also redesigned the front suspension, cut down the strut housings to fit adjustable springs and different struts, fabricated replacement A arms and reconfigured the front crossmember.
The entire brake system has been reconfigured with aftermarket racing components.
Most of the work meets the letter of the law (DOT approved) but more importantly I know it is better than stock. I would be very surprised if it wouldn't pass a typical safety inspection.
But god forbid I install replacement windows without the approval of (and payment to) the town..
Ok, I'm ranting, I don't want

Comments

• Jay_17
    Jay_17 Member Posts: 72
    I find this interesting

I am supposed to get a permit and submit to inspections for almost any work I do on my house from replacing siding to connecting a dryer. But I can do virtually anything I want to my car, from replacing a headlight to redesigning the entire suspension, without any sort of consult or checkout from anyone. My home endangers primarily me (an sometimes the neibor?). My car endangers all sorts of people on the highway along with me and my family. I can play with high pressure fuel systems, exhaust systems, environmental hazards and high voltage electricity on my car.....noone keeps track. Not that I want any supervision mind you...

Jay
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459

To a certain extent you make a good point. The problem is that, in the car example you gave, there probably should be more of that type of regulation. Yearly vehicle inspections are a joke. Also, you most likely won't be the last person to live in that house. Any work you do now will be inherited by the next owner and family. It is also relatively easy to do bad (dangerous) things to your house and not even know it, where as cars require very specialized parts and knowledge just to get the thing started.

I would say that US codes are a bit over-protective due to the litigious nature of our society. US Codes exist to protect and to law suit. Europe has much less restriction. Permits are also a revenue stream for the town and often the inspector knows less than the homeowner or contractor. In general though, it is best for your own protection.
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    motor vehicles?

Just got back this minute from getting the car inspected...

It failed! They claim my windshield wiper blade was damaged.
    After I began jumping around as if I was on fire over this failure (In my head) I politely asked WHATSUPWITDAT! The woman pointed to an area at the top of the blade where it hangs over about a quarter of an inch. I explained this is a (virtually) new car (bought new 2001) I never changed the blades before and honestly they work perfectly. My wife is the only driver and I belive the odometer reads 24,000 miles. I, after leaving the inspection agency proceeded to swing by the dealer (on my way home) only to notice ALL the vehicles of this make and model ALL have the blade hanging over, even the new, new cars............WATSUPWITSAT

Robert O'Connor/NJ.....EEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Ed,

Apparently, you don't hail from the great state of Ma. The state inspection would shoot you down in minutes for the smallest infractions. (ride height, oversized tires,and without ANY doubt EMISSIONS)

The only tougher emissions codes are found in California.

I agree that it's just as dangerous as installing a fire hazzard. The big question is....do you assume LIABILITY for making unauthorized changes to a vehicle, like we do by straying from any and all manufacturers practices? Chris
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Don't tell me that

old inspection station down Park Street is still there!

When I lived on the GR/Bloomfield line, by the phone compnay, I had a 56 Ford. The right passenger window was cracked. It failed. I came back to the aprtment, took a hammer and removed the window completely - including the channel. I took it back and the same inspector said, "Fast job." "Now roll up the window." I did so until the two nylon rollers just showed at the door slot and he smiled, put on a "pass" sticker and off I smugly drove.

That night it snowed and my wife Jaye and I were going to mass at Sacred Heart and she refused to get in. Finally I got her to sit in the back seat on my side after I shovelled the snow out of her side.

If she has learned how to drive a stick at that time, guess who would have been sitting where.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Ken.

16 Label St. Montclair. Near N. Willow. I'm goin back for some more pain.

PS: That FLR house @ 63 CH is getting the radiant done. I thought you were bidding?

Robert O'Connor/NJ
This discussion has been closed.