Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Orleans Superdome

It sure looks highly resistant to wind, but what about waves crashing against the side? If high enough, that scallop that helps divert wind and reduce roof uplift may focus the force of the waves on the crux of the curve.

Pics don't seem to be working now, but here's a link to a photo:

<A href=http://apps.notmc.com/all/data/media/13/sports2.jpg>Superdome Photo</A>

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

It sure looks highly resistant to wind, but what about waves crashing against the side? If high enough, that scallop that helps divert wind may focus the force of the waves.
  • The Storm

I am watching the events of that hurricane unfold on TV as I type this. This is history being made before our eyes.

It seems so distant when you watch it on TV, but for the people there, it will literally be the end of their world as they knew it. It is so sad to see.

I live in NE Pennsylvania. We had a large flood from hurricane Agnes in 1972, which caused severe damage to the entire Susquehanna River basin area. My home was totaled by that flood.

I was an HVAC service tech working in the field at the time. For the buildings that were still standing we worked 16 hours a day 7 days a week for the next two years trying to patch things back together for the people here, so they could try to get their lives back to some semblance of order. But things were never the same. The damage was incredible.

When I talk to people about it, they nod there heads politely, but they just don’t understand what it was like for you, and all of your neighbors, in one day, to loose literally everything, except the clothes on your back.

What we went through here was like a spit in the ocean in comparison to what is potentially going to happen from this storm. I really do sympathize for those people.

God bless them.

Respectfully,

Ed Carey

• The Storm

I am watching the events of that hurricane unfold on TV as I type this. This is history being made before our eyes.

It seems so distant when you watch it on TV, but for the people there, it will literally be the end of their world as they knew it. It is so sad to see.

I live in NE Pennsylvania. We had a large flood from hurricane Agnes in 1972, which caused severe damage to the entire Susquehanna River basin area. My home was totaled by that flood.

I was an HVAC service tech working in the field at the time. For the buildings that were still standing we worked 16 hours a day 7 days a week for the next two years trying to patch things back together for the people here, so they could try to get their lives back to some semblance of order. But things were never the same. The damage was incredible.

When I talk to people about it, they nod there heads politely, but they just don’t understand what it was like for you, and all of your neighbors, in one day, to loose literally everything you have ever owned, except the clothes on your back.

What we went through here was like a spit in the ocean in comparison to what is potentially going to happen from this storm. I really do sympathize for those people.

God bless them.

Respectfully,

Ed Carey

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    I have family in that area

My cousin and her husband lives in Metarie, which is just outside of New Orleans. He's a retired deputy sheriffand she's just plain retired.

I've been trying to reach them for about the last day or so, but I get their answering machine for their home line and "all circuits are busy" on her cell. I feel confident they've bugged out, unless Richard is going to be helping out.

You need to remember that we have a Wallie a couple hundred miles west of New Orleans, Brian Wood.

Prayers need to go out for the Gulf Coast.....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Brian (Tankless) Member Posts: 340
    Thank you Jeff.

I'm exactly 220 miles N.W. by W. of the beautiful city of New Orleans, Jewel of the South. (and I'm directly in the path of this thing).

ALL phone lines are locked up, can't call anyone. God willing, this catastophically huge hurricane will not hit N.O. I'm praying that it won't, I have freinds there who don't drive, as well as many Louisianans I don't know, but love anyway. *Many New Orleans folk don't drive, & don't own cars; they ordinarily don't need them.

My gut feeling, is that it's going to move west of the N.O. area, & come right at south/central LA. So, in between typing this, I'm tying & strapping down, anything that moves.

On a selfish note. I was supposed to start work on Monday as an E&I tech on the biggest & newest tension-leg drilling-production platform in the GOM (Gulf of Mexico). But, according to the tracking info, that facility is history! The hurricane went directly right over the top of it. Nothing withstands 175 MPH winds, nothing!

Must get back to tying my stuff down.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Pray for New Orleans.

Brian.

This a P.S. the storm surge was calculated to be 18', the latest is, it may be as high as 20-25'.

Pray for south Louisiana, and my little girl Autumn, who is 50 miles south of me with her mother, and out of phone contact.

This is going to be the worst since "Audrey" of 1957.

It's up to "atmospheric conditions" now.

Brian.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    I'll be thinking

About my cousin, but our thoughts will be with you also.

A hurricane is a force that most people can't comprehend unless you've been through one. Another set of cousins went through Camille back in 1969. They all swore they'd never 'sit' one out again.

Bless you Brian. I hope all turns out well for you.

Jeff

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brian (Tankless)
    I hope & pray

your family in Metairie is well, Jeff. All phone & long-distance lines are locked up, I've tried..

If they need a place to stay, tell them to call me, or just come on down, I have spare space. E-mail me with #'s & I'll give e'm directions.

Brian.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    The Halls will be saying prayers

I hope that Katrina relents and spares the fine folks of Louisiana. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    prayers

Ours follow as well. Please get back to The Wall as soon as possible to report on the aftermath and your safety.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    A small update

I just got off the phone with Brian. He's got everything tied down as best he can.

My cousin has evacuated to Baton Rouge, the state capitol north of New Orleans. Her husband and his son are planning on riding it out in Metarie, according to my sister. If worse come to worse, there is a 3 story brick school 3-4 blocks away they'll head to.

One of the predicitions is that there will no electricity, water, sewer, anything for at least 2 weeks if it hits New Orleans.

My sister and I may be heading down there next weekend to see if anyone needs help.

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Thinking of you tonight,,,,,,,,,,,

We'll be praying for all those who live in that area and for the city itself. New Orleans as it is now known could very likely cease to exist if the worst happens. Take care Brian and may God protect you and yours.
  • Christian Egli
    Christian Egli Member Posts: 277
    When it rains, it pours. Or should it be something worse.

From looking at the WeatherChannel Katrina is way worse than it was supposed to be before the weekend.

This is a frightening night.

Once only have I witnessed a mild hurricane off the coast of North Carolina, it had flying trees. It was enough for me. I don't know how you live with those things.

Katrina promises flying homes. I am praying everyone is prepared by now and as safe as possible.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Tankless

Many years ago I lived in Metairie, 3325 Laketrail Dr. which was about 300' away from were that plane crashed. I'm hoping you are as lucky as we were. Batten down the hatches and pray man, this don't look good.
    God speed.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • I'll second that!

I've been through two mild hurricanes in RI in as many years back in the 80's. These both topped off with 75 to 90 mph winds and the damage was phenomenal. No power for a week and power crews came in from the Carolinas and Canada to get things working again. I just can't possibly imagine the devestation these folks will encounter with 200 mph gusts! My real concerns involve the 32,000 people they are putting into the Superdome. According to the news reports I'm watching this evening, the officials think it will withstand the winds and that it should stay high and dry. Scary stuff for sure!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Brian (Tankless)
    20-30 times the atomic

effect of hiroshima.

It really is that bad, locally.

Usually, nothing scares me much, but this scares me. It's a big one.

I'm going to try & nap for an H'r or so, wake early & take tomorrow as it comes.

Thanks guys,

Brian in Swampland.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Its been down graded to Cat four

which is some good news. Wind speed is down abit, but still quite high at 150. I belive the preasure has also risen which is a good thing, showing the storm is weaking instead of getting stronger as predicted. Lets hope everyone can ride this out.

I don't understand why they evacuate and the news crews are standing out in the rain ? Should'nt those people get out also ? It adds a bit of theatrics to something that should be serious.

Scott

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Cat four

If you get hit by something being pushed by the wind, is it going to make much of a difference if that wind is 150 mph or 170 mph?

Either way, if the eye strikes close to the city, there's going to be a horrible amount of damage.

Keep the gulf coast in your prayers.

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    News hounds

Scott -- Without the news crews the outside world would not know what is going on. That would be intolerable to a nation that expects news instantly. Yes, it is crazy, but almost a necessity. Heck, I'm doing what I can to contact contractors to learn their emergency plans. Yes, I'm a pain in the neck, but I'm doing what needs to be done. Maybe it can help others who face similar scenarios.

If any Wallies can help me do my job, please contact me.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Prayers for a

safe "ride out" of this horrible storm to all our brothers and sisters in it's path.

Jack
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    I'll never forget......

the feelings I had when I saw the damage that flood caused. I was a junior in high school and went there to help in the clean-up aftermath with our church youth group. To see houses literally lifted and transported a couple of blocks was something you don't forget.

I just lived through the Delaware floods here in September and again in June and that is the only comparable thing I can think of to the damage the Susquehanna did that year.
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    a 747 at 810,000lbs becomes airbrone...

in ground effect at 140kts equiv to cat 4!!!
    just to put this force in perspective
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    One of the talking heads

One of the talking heads on the weather channel made the comparison of Cat4 vs 5 as being the difference between getting run over by an 18 wheeler as opposed to a freight train.

You're messed up either way to be blunt.
  • Ron Schroeder_3
    Ron Schroeder_3 Member Posts: 254
    Pray for Louisiana?

Who are we to pray to at a time like this?
  • Jim Kelleher_4
    Jim Kelleher_4 Member Posts: 1

Anyone hear from Tankless?
This discussion has been closed.